HybridZ

Ignition swich removal

deja

I am attempting to remove the entire ignition switch/keylock assembly. I took the top two screws out but there seems to be some sort of rivet on the bottom. How do you get this thing out? Surely I don't have to drill this rivet thing out.

switch1.jpg

It's not a rivet, it is a "security" screw--there was originally a tapered peice on the end of it that allowed it to be screwed in, which reaks off above a certain torque; leaving a blank head like that.

Easiest way I've found to remove them is use a dremel or similar device to cut a slot in it, then use a flat screwdriver to unscrew it. If you wanna use a hammer to releive some frustrations, use it along with a small cold chisel to slowly rotate the head counter-clockwise until it unscrews

I've used a chisel to cut a slot in the head and turned them out with a flat screwdriver. Easy and less messy than a dremel. I like Darrel's idea of taking the stress off the screw. Maybe a C clamp might be used for that. Mine were pretty loose though and didn't require much torque to break free.