HybridZ

R180 Axle Problems, Please help me out!

240Z_Master

From what I remember, I used the 240Z wheel bearing seal. I don't remember 100% to be honest with you because it's been about 5 months since I've actually installed the flanges.

IF these companion flanges are indeed identical to the 280ZXT flanges, the journal on the companion flange that spins inside the seal lip is about 2 mm (maybe 3 mm) smaller than it is for the Z companion flanges. This gap prevents proper sealing of the bearings. Just something you'll want to think over or look at.

I've taken two approaches to the seal issue. One was using the ZXT wheel bearing seal (it is about 10mm smaller OD than the Z seal OD), set into a split metal ring, that then is inserted into the bearing carrier just as the Z seal would be. The other approach (which may or may not be easier) was take an R200 front pinion seal, and remove the rubber casing on the outer circumference only, then press this seal into the wheel bearing carrier (using a sealant) just as you would a Z seal. The rubber on the outer circumference is removed because the OD of this seal is about 1mm too large, and caused interference. Unfortunately, some seals use a thicker layer than others, so depending upon what seal you get depends on how frustrating it is to get the seal inserted into the wheel bearing carrier.

I've taken two approaches to the seal issue. One was using the ZXT wheel bearing seal (it is about 10mm smaller OD than the Z seal OD), set into a split metal ring, that then is inserted into the bearing carrier just as the Z seal would be. The other approach (which may or may not be easier) was take an R200 front pinion seal, and remove the rubber casing on the outer circumference only, then press this seal into the wheel bearing carrier (using a sealant) just as you would a Z seal. The rubber on the outer circumference is removed because the OD of this seal is about 1mm too large, and caused interference. Unfortunately, some seals use a thicker layer than others, so depending upon what seal you get depends on how frustrating it is to get the seal inserted into the wheel bearing carrier.

Or, go to your local seal distributor after measuring the inner shaft and outer housing inside dimensions and match the up with the appropriate correct size seal. I have found many cross compatible seals that way. Most seals have their dimensions printed on them...

Mike

Or' date=' go to your local seal distributor after measuring the inner shaft and outer housing inside dimensions and match the up with the appropriate correct size seal. I have found many cross compatible seals that way. Most seals have their dimensions printed on them...

Mike[/quote']

What you need is a 70 x 40 x 8 seal, which is a standard size.

I'll have to disagree on the dimensions. The ZX seal is 62 MM X 40 MM, and the Z seal is 72 MM (or 73 MM?) X 42 MM (I may be off by 1 MM on the OD for the Z). So what is needed is a seal that is 72 MM (or 73 MM?) X 42 MM in order to fit a ZXT companion flange to a Z bearing carrier (strut), and properly seal the bearings.

The R200 pinion seal that I later used is a 75 MM X 40 MM, but the 75 MM is too large, which is why I had to remove the rubber off the outer circumference to get the seal to fit into the Z strut.