HybridZ

Spot Welded my Ride

cyrus

Doesn't spot welding like this promote rust?

I mean, on the back sides of the spot welds the metal is bare and you can't get to the backside to paint or otherwise protect the metal from rusting.

Stitch welding is the way as far as I know. I've never heard anyone espouse the benefits of spot welding and full seam welding is supposed to be less stiff than stitching, but stitch welding is pretty common:

http://www.betamotorsports.com/services/index.html (click chassis and suspension)

http://www.rally.subaru.com/rally/servlet/CarBuildingDetail?part=1&imageId=6

Doesn't spot welding like this promote rust?

I mean' date=' on the back sides of the spot welds the metal is bare and you can't get to the backside to paint or otherwise protect the metal from rusting.[/quote']

any welding is prone to rust. you must cover it with a sealer/primer/zero rust/por 15 etc because it will start to flash rust in about 1-2weeks.

you must cover it with a sealer/primer/zero rust/por 15 etc because it will start to flash rust in about 1-2weeks.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but.....

What about the bare welded area between the fender well and frame rail flange. I mean, inside the seam where the fender well and frame rail join/touch. You can't get into that area with sealer/primer/zero rust/por 15 type products. The sealer might seep into those areas but you can't be sure because you can't see it.

How do you protect the "Back Side" of the weld?

For example, I welded up the holes in the fenders, doors, and rear quarters that were from the body side molding which turned out to be a rookie mistake. I painted the outside but forgot about the backside of the weld and rust began to collect inside the fenders, doors, and quarte panels where the backside of the weld was not protected. I have now sealed the backsides but with the type welding shown in the first post, bare metal is created from the weld that you can't reach.

I wil back jmortensen on stich welding. Any welding will cause the metal around it to get brittler. Full seam welding is not a good idea because then you have brittle metal all along the weld seam, whereas with stitch welding, there is a lot of strong metal left.

Can't remember the site I read all this off of, but there are definite reasons to go stitch welding route.