HybridZ

oil thingies

Silent

Awesome. I didn't even know that was availible (I usually go to autozone, not napa). I've been using their regular synthetic, but if this isn't much of a price difference, I'll switch to it for the added zinc.

This is a good thread, I'm really glad someone (Silent) shed some light on this.

X64v, per your reply to my previous post, my bad, thanks for catching that.

Also, I was hoping to avoid additional shipping charges, tried to find the Valvoline full synthetic racing oil locally, but have been having a very hard time. I can only find the VR1 racing oil (dino), but not the full synthetic racing. I even called the local Valvoline oil change place. They could only give me a 1-800 hotline number, and said I can't find it because it's not street legal, but I'm wondering why then can I get the VR1? Valvoline's website does state it as having zinc added, but again not the quantitiy. The "dated link" lists Vavloline Racing, but not VR1, I wonder if it's the same.

EDIT: A quick Google search resulted with a link to Amazon.com of all places, at $49, qty 6, with free "super saver" shipping, will have to look into that. the VR1 isn't listed as "not street legal" here's the full synthetic:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GAN3H6/qid=1152552820/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/002-0418305-1774441?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=automotive&v=glance&n=156841810418305-1774441?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=automotive&v=glance&n=15684181

On the valvoline website, they said Napa carries it. Dunno if you checked there or not. I'm going to check my local Napa sometime today or tomorrow to see if they carry it, and how much more it is over their regular synthetic. And it's amazing what you can find on amazon...Though at 8.30 a quart I might as well run amsoil.

I finally got around to contacting Amsoil technical department about the zinc content in the Amsoil Series 2000 20W-50 racing oil.

"In response to your inquiry, there is 1235 ppm zinc and 1370 ppm phosphorus in the Series 2000 20W-50. This is a pretty high concentration for a motor oil."

Link to the Series 2000 20W-50 racing oil product page

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tro.aspx?zo=314844

If anyone needs more info on this product let me know.

I hope this will answer some questions.

On the valvoline website, they said Napa carries it. Dunno if you checked there or not. I'm going to check my local Napa sometime today or tomorrow to see if they carry it, and how much more it is over their regular synthetic. And it's amazing what you can find on amazon...Though at 8.30 a quart I might as well run amsoil.

I just ordered some from my local (not a NAPA - I think its a CarQuest) mom and pop auto parts store - they had some trouble identifying it at first, but I think we got it figured out. Should be in tomorrow. This store had the dino NSL racing oil in stock, btw, so the "street legality" wasn't an issue for them.

I posted a question on Valvoline's site feedback/questions form:

My question: I would like to know the exact percentage of zinc added to all of your Racing line oils.

Response: Ours contain .11% zinc.

I'm having a hard time beleiving this, and wonder if the person answering the question perhaps wasn't up to the task.

I posted a question on Valvoline's site feedback/questions form:

My question: I would like to know the exact percentage of zinc added to all of your Racing line oils.

Response: Ours contain .11% zinc.

I'm having a hard time beleiving this' date=' and wonder if the person answering the question perhaps wasn't up to the task.[/quote']

The Synthetic NSL shown in the link above has 0.12% zinc by weight. Look in the "Product Info" link for the specs (you might have to right-click and "save link as" to open the pdf)

I just ordered some from my local (not a NAPA - I think its a CarQuest) mom and pop auto parts store - they had some trouble identifying it at first, but I think we got it figured out. Should be in tomorrow. This store had the dino NSL racing oil in stock, btw, so the "street legality" wasn't an issue for them.

How much was it per quart?

Also, does anyone know how much zinc content is required to adequately protect our flat-tappet cams? I'm not going to go out of my way to get something with .20% if the .12% in the oil I'm running now works just fine.

How much was it per quart?

Also' date=' does anyone know how much zinc content is required to adequately protect our flat-tappet cams? I'm not going to go out of my way to get something with .20% if the .12% in the oil I'm running now works just fine.

$6.79/qt US

From what I've read so far the amount of zinc determines how long it protects, rather than how well it protects, so higher content doesn't work better, but it will protect against metal to metal contact for a longer period of time. How much is enough is unclear, but I had trouble finding anything current that claimed higher than 0.13%, FWIW.

• 2 weeks later...

I just cleaned out the local NAPA - part number VV854, $6.29 per. That's pretty decent! I was paying almost that much for Mobile1 synthetic.

Here's the loot!

loot.jpg

Here's my valvoline modeling bid:

modelbid.jpg

I'm sure they'll call soon.

• 3 months later...

SLOB in the pink bottle mfr. by CD-2 data from BITOG.

Parameter: VOA Data (Manufacturer's data)

Zinc: 4898 ppm (4700)

Phosphorus: 4921 ppm (4300)

Calcium: 4279 ppm (7800)

Moly: 0 ppm (0)

Vis @100C: 29.5 cSt (28)

Got mine at Big Lots on sale for $1 per bottle. Going back to clear out some more off the shelf!

The problem with the racing oils is the reduced detergents in them. Red Line's racing oil doesn't have any at all!! A diesel oil should have zinc in it and on Red Line's website it stated that their diesel oil has twice the detergents of their regular oil. I think I would rather have too much detergents than not enough because from what I read the extra detergents main side effect is that it may increase the chances of plug fouling. I would rather change plugs than worry about increased sludge in the engine.

I could not find a sheet on red line's regular synthetic, but it did say that they met diesel engine requirements which could mean there is zinc in it. The diesel oil does have zinc as the material safety data sheet on the site shows .12% zinc. I will try to e-mail them on the regular synthetic to see if there is any added zinc, but it may not from the sounds of the regulations involved. A diesel oil is street legal and contains zinc so go figure.