HybridZ

great example of why magnets

heres a great example of a seriously worn lifter , from an engine that wiped its cam on break-in, where do you think all that metalic trash went?,and (trust me IT rarely only one lobe) look closely at the sides of that lifter.....notice the wear the trash in the oil did even durring that brief time!

qn0cxl.jpg

this is a good example of why ID also strongly suggest adding 4 of these magnets (below)(these are NOT your comon magnets ,ONE will pick up a sbc cylinder head)

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=0035

to your engine as they do a great job of trapping and holding metalic trash in your oil, preventing it from reaching your bearings, and NO ,before you ask, the OIL FILTER RARELY traps more than about 90% of the trash in the oil in a single trip thru the filter and the bye-pass circuit tends to open slightly even with new clean filters under hard accelleration

I normally place one in the rear of each cylinder head and one on the bottom of the oil pan near the drain, and one near the oil return in the lifter valley, to trap trash if something fails.

you won,t believe the trash stuck to them after a few months, on even an engine thats running perfectly, but on an engine with a cam and lifters that fail they can easily be the differance between a total loss and a rebuilable core

"are they really as strong as you say?"

LASON,

buy four,too place in your engine!

THEN let me know what you think!

if you don,t think, after playing with them for a few minutes that they are significantly stronger than most magnets,and as strong as I said,

Ill buy them from you at the same price the site charges,as long as they are in good condition,

(I use them constantly, no engine leaves my shop without them)

buy 2, place 1 inside your lip, and then hold the other just ouside your lip, maintaining at least 1/4" distance, and then report back to us = )

PS, lock your teeth closed, if you orient the magnets incorrectly, you will be asking about health risks from a bi-polar gut. Although, this could make for some fun experiments, or entries to Americas Funniest Home Videos.....

"what about the aluminum heads?"

you just J&B weld/ epoxy to the clean dry oil free surface on the heads near the oil return holes

jbweld_lrg.jpg

the magnets too the heads in a location that will not block the oil return flow or cause mechanical interfearance with the rockers or valve covers, ETC. but allows the magnet to suck any metalic dust from the oil flow

Mcmaster-Carr has them. I recommend the Nickle plated kind. Neodynium-Iron-Boron

also kdsmagnets.com can make any size shape etc.

I was always scared to put them on the inside of my oil pan in case it got loose or moved and became a plug for the oil pickup or a projectile, but it's probably just my own paranoia.

They're strong as heck, you just about can't get two of them apart once they're stuck. We used them as magnetic detents for a mechanism that needed a positive stop without running hte mechanism intot he hard stop. IT would get within 1/4 inch and "pop" snap into place.

Guest tony78_280z

Sein' as how I don't plan to have my oil pan off anytime soon... Would it be a waste to simply drop a few of these under the valve covers?

And, if they are that stronge, wouldn't it work to just pop a few on the outside of the oil pan? Magnetizing the whole pan?

Trust me guys, they are strong! I wouldn't doubt that they could pick up a head. I bought a few of them from wondermagnets.com for my GN engine. I put them on the outside of the oil pan, because I forgot to put them inside when I assembled the engine. I figure this way, the inside of the pan will be easier to clean anyways. I can't imagine trying to get small metal particles off of that magnet, no way, no how.

"wouldn't it work to just pop a few on the outside of the oil pan? Magnetizing the whole pan?"

sure! put one on each of the 4 corners on the outside of the pan, and they work just fine!, they will trap any crud that reaches the pan,but place them like that AND two under the valve covers, on the heads near the drain back holes and one in the lifter valley near the rear drain back holes and those upper magnets STILL COLLECT CRUD!, so I place them in all three locations

all you need to do is find valve spring shrapnel and keepers stuck to the upper magnets once to realize what might have happend if they got wedged between a lifter and cam lobe

"are they really as strong as you say?"

LASON' date='

buy four,too place in your engine!

[b']THEN let me know what you think![/b]

if you don,t think, after playing with them for a few minutes that they are significantly stronger than most magnets,and as strong as I said,

Ill buy them from you at the same price the site charges,as long as they are in good condition,

(I use them constantly, no engine leaves my shop without them)

Oh yes they ARE!!! Be very careful when you put them together in your hands as they will pinch the hell out of your fingers etc if your not careful. Seriously strong......ask me how I know:mrgreen:

You can put one on the back of your hand and the other in the front and they will stick together...

Terry

If anybody here has computer junk laying around, most harddrives contain a pair of kidney shaped Neodymium magnets... Strong enough to give blood blisters if they pinch you just right. :)

I have also personally rigged a pair to a harness, and proved in a friend's science fair experiment, that they can hold 160+lbs off the ground.

So rip apart bad or old drives, and you've got your self oil magnets for free...

Another note... Neodymium magnets are very brittle, make sure they arent located in a place that will get a lot of shock or vibration. They also tend to lose like 50% of there strength after several months of heating up and cooling down in an engine. I replace my magnets at every oil change because of this