HybridZ

AZC Billet steering arms

• 3 months later...

I think the 510 knuckles are longer, but that's ~8 year old memory talking. The 510 is also a rear steer, but I think you could put them on backward to fix that. If somebody has a set to measure I have some Z knuckles ready to compare with. Also for Ackerman's sake the 510 knuckle would be bent the wrong way compared to a front steer setup (can't remember if it's bent or not from the factory), and you can't switch side to side because the twist on the end of the steer knuckle would be wrong which would make the tie rod bottom.

I thought that the "quick steering knuckles" were nothing more tham 510 stock knuckles. Am I mistaken?

510 arms will not bolt to the the Z unless you have ZX strut tubes. The spacing of the bolt holes is off by about 10 mm. 510 arms do have a twist but you could switch them side for side to gain ackerman. The problem is that they are longer than the stock Z arms. So I don't think you'd want to do this.

Attached are a few pics of some arms that were built for a race car. These were flame cut from T3 steel plate. Another option for the DIYer.

Cary

DSC03322_thumb.JPG

DSC03323_thumb.JPG

The 'quick' steering knuckles are not from a 510. They are 1970 240z OEM parts. Steering effort was too high on those cars so they went to longer knuckles on the 240z after 1970. I am not 100% certain when the crossover date was.

The 'quick' steering knuckles are not from a 510. They are 1970 240z OEM parts. Steering effort was too high on those cars so they went to longer knuckles on the 240z after 1970. I am not 100% certain when the crossover date was.

I do not believe this is correct. I had to swap out my steer knuckles because the tapered hole for the tie rod is smaller diameter in the 70 than the later knuckles, so replacement tie rods don't fit. I specifically remember the knuckles that I got from a 2+2 were SHORTER than the knuckles that were on the car, so I thought at the time that 2+2's had the quick steer knuckles because they have a longer wheelbase. Turns out I was wrong about that, the 2+2 has the same knuckles as a normal Z, so then I thought maybe for some weird reason the owner of the 2+2 had put the short knuckles on. Just a couple weeks ago I got a hold of some "normal" Z knuckles, and they were the same length as the ones that were on the car. So the original 70 Z knuckles were longer than the rest of them, if I'm correct. My car is a 5/70, #4396, and I think I was the first one to ever replace the tie rod ends FWIW.

Also, I believe that ALL of the European Z's came with the shorter knuckles. Like many of the things in the comp catalog (springs, crank damper, tail lights, 5 speed) the European Z's got them as standard issue.