HybridZ

Gertrag 6 speed transmission?

Guest Chris

Guest Chris

Anyone know what the differences between the Gertrag 6 speed tranny (found in at least the 2005 Pontiac GTO) and the T56 tranny is (from late 90's /early 2000's) are? Apparently the Gertrag has shorter throws and is apparently built better? Anyone know if this is this true? I've tried searching the web for info but can't find anything of use. There is a complete 2005 GTO with tranny (400hp) for sale that I am thinking of for my swap and I am wondering if I should just go for an older LS1 (1998 - 2001) and save a bit of money. Apparently the 2005 GTO has the LS2 block in it. It will be going in my Z32. I have the spring bug and want to decide on the drivetrain package and get started. Anyone any comments? Thanks.

The 2005 GTO uses the Tremec T56 6-speed, which is basically the same as used in the Camaros.

There are some slight differences in the shifter location, and the hydraulic release bearing.

A Camaro T56 shifter can be installed onto the GTO T56.

One member on this board has a GTO LS2 going into the Z.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108634

Guest Chris

Thanks Mike, unless someone can come up with some reasons why they would go with the LS1 / T56 over this LS2 / Tremec setup, I may just grab it. (also keeping in mind I may do some modifications to the engine at a later date, so hopefully the computer can be easily re-programmed like the computers in the camaros / TA's)

Thanks Mike, unless someone can come up with some reasons why they would go with the LS1 / T56 over this LS2 / Tremec setup, I may just grab it. (also keeping in mind I may do some modifications to the engine at a later date, so hopefully the computer can be easily re-programmed like the computers in the camaros / TA's)

There's no difference as far as capabilities between the two setups besides the obvious difference in cubic inches. The gearing of the two may differ, but all the GM used 6-speeds are all overly built.

Chris, Tremec makes the T56. They've produced all the T56 trannies since the first ones in Camaros in 1993 and in the Vipers upon their creation. I believe Tremec also was the original designer of the T5s found in Fords and Chevys from the early 80s on.

To my knowledge Getrag has never been involved in GMs tranny program, but does supply all the IRS centers for the Corvette C5/6 programs.

Mike :cool:

I"m aware of Getrag Making six speed trannies, but I don't believe any of those are in any GM products...

BW sold their rights to the product line to Tremec back in the late 90s I thought, but Tremec was involved in the development of the "t5-T56" trans. I have it in one of my shop books somewhere...

Mike

I believe Getrag (a German Company) was introduced here in the 1986 and up Pontiac Fiero. GM has used their transmissions in many FWD cars since. I had a friend at GM who was a powertrain engineer and he went over to Germany to work on the Fiero project. They have a US office just outside Detroit on Mound Road - I go by it all the time.

They have made transmissions for Porsche, Audi, BMW and a few others for years. I think they even make a 6-speed for Chrysler trucks but I'm not sure.

There's no difference as far as capabilities between the two setups besides the obvious difference in cubic inches. The gearing of the two may differ, but all the GM used 6-speeds are all overly built.

actualy the LS2 has much more potential than an LS1 just by the fact that it has 243 heads which flow much better than 241 castings of the LS1s. LS2s also have better timing chains and oil pumps. put the same cam in an LS1 and an LS2 and the LS2 will get much better gains, plus it has a sweet 400hp curve

actualy the LS2 has much more potential than an LS1 just by the fact that it has 243 heads which flow much better than 241 castings of the LS1s. LS2s also have better timing chains and oil pumps. put the same cam in an LS1 and an LS2 and the LS2 will get much better gains, plus it has a sweet 400hp curve

That's simply nitpicking. The difference isn't Earth-shattering, else no one would be interested in purchasing LS1s. He asked in reference to purchasing an LS1 combo vs the LS2, in regards to the transmission; in which it's all gearing differences, if there's even a difference at all.

But to the point, the thread starter would be satisfied with whatever choice he made. The money saved by purchasing the LS1 could be placed into modifications, but the LS2 would ultimately be a better starting platform.

depends on how much money you have to spend, if i had 4000 to spend id MUCH rather buy an LS2 than mod an LS1, LS2 would be less finikey and more reliable

Show me where I can get an LS2/T56 combo for $4K and I'll buy it.

The handful of LS2 complete pull outs I have seen have all sold for closer to $8K.

Guest Chris

The LS1 packages usually go for about $3500, give or take a few hundred. The LS2 package looks to be around $4500 - $5000, so it's going to be at least $1000 more. I'm going to have to decide whether it's worth it.....