HybridZ

Spindle Pin Removal

I just love the way the Datsun shop manual says "after removing the bolts pull the pin out.

2 days later after sawing the control arms off, beating with a 5 lb hammer, purchasing a 12 ton press, and heating it while hammering on it I have finally removed both pins. I think I'll take a break now.

SpindlePin.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The press is what did it. But it was still quite an ordeal. I had all the pressure it could muster on it and still it would'nt budge. So out with the map gas. After heating for a while it finally gave about an eighth of an inch. Then slowly it started out. Man you should have heard the noise it made when it gave, my ears are still ringing!

First I sawed through the spindle pin to remove the control arm.

Then I used a 75-ton press – and bent the fixture that I used to apply loading to the spindle pin, but didn’t budge the spindle pin!

Then I drilled through the spindle pin with a 3/8†drill bit from both ends, and tried again with the hydraulic press – no luck.

Finally I took the strut casting to a machine shop, which used a mill and boring-bar to remove the remnants of the spindle pin. $200 later the job was done.

Next time I do this, I’ll take the whole strut/control arm assembly to a machine shop.

I think all the people that have problem with removal are all trying to PRESS it out. Those who actually PULL it out have better success. Somehow I think the pin gets thicker when it is pressed(squashed), but when you pull it the diameter doesn't grow.

The pulling tool used to be in circulation, now I don't know. What does the tool look like and can I make one myself?

I think all the people that have problem with removal are all trying to PRESS it out. Those who actually PULL it out have better success. Somehow I think the pin gets thicker when it is pressed(squashed)' date=' but when you pull it the diameter doesn't grow.

The pulling tool used to be in circulation, now I don't know. What does the tool look like and can I make one myself?[/quote']

I made one, I think if the pins are only slightly stuck it'd do the job. For me the spindle pins just ripped the thread out of the tool without budging a mm. This was with giving each end of the pin a few mighty wallops anyway, grrr!

The inherent flaw I see with the tool is that it's relying on having a strong enough grip on the M12x1.25 thread on the end of the pin. Maybe if the thread had been a 1.75mm pitch it would have more of a chance to grip securely but alas Datsun love their fine thread pitches!

Cheers,

Rob

I have the spindle puller from Darrel. I have used it twice and it took about twenty minutes with no sweat involved. They came out easy. If you want to contact him his email address is: DLH2460@aol.com. He will get back to you.

If you belong to a local Z club you should get it to buy the tool as a loaner to club members. That way the cost is deferred to all the members and it actually gets used more then a couple of times.

I have the spindle puller from Darrel. I have used it twice and it took about twenty minutes with no sweat involved. They came out easy. If you want to contact him his email address is: DLH2460@aol.com. He will get back to you.

If you belong to a local Z club you should get it to buy the tool as a loaner to club members. That way the cost is deferred to all the members and it actually gets used more then a couple of times.

Thanks Art.

My last experience went like this:

Step 1: Soak spindle pin for 4 days in Moovit, spraying it down every 4 hours or so.

Step 2: Use nicely made hybridz puller loaner tool.

Step 3: Tighten puller all the way, beat on other end with hammer.

Step 4: After 4 hours of this, break 1st puller

Step 5: Have new puller parts machined out of 1060.

Step 6: Continue to heat & beat pin with hammer for a day.

Step 7: Use new puller parts. Break new puller part.

Step 8: Heat treat second replacement puller part.

Step 9: Have puller part shear off threads from pin.

Step 10: Spend 2 days heating and hammering pin, discarding broken puller.

Step 11: Spend $20 at machine shop having pin pressed out. Another machinist must be found if I ever have this done again, because the first one broke his press in the process.

The moral of the story... don't even think about it if you live in the northwest...

The moral of the story... don't even think about it if you live in the northwest...

Richard, I would think the rust belt cars would qualify for this as well. But seriously, for the majority of the western US, that tool works pretty darn well. I may duplicate a tool for myself using even better steel, but I'd have to get some help from my machinist friends :mrgreen: You listening Mike D??

Davy