HybridZ

Alluminum flywheel?

I am looking into getting one of the super light flywheels (like 13-15 LBS) for a Ford 302. They cost about $350 to $400 a pop. I was wondering if any of you guys have one equipped and can comment on the change in feel. I am aiming to get it like my uncles FIAT for response. Also I am concerned with a carb that in the mornings when the engine is cold that it might stall to easily. Would this be the case? Thanks.

My fidanza flywheel is so light and looks so good but it is still sitting in the box. This weekend I plan (hope) to be bolting the engine and tranny together. I have my engine balanced and last weekend I completed the 2.95 alloy gear swap while rebuilding my T5. I have my tilton hydraulic T/O bearing and a Ram clutch, so maybe if you can wait till this summer I can tell you what it's like.

Don

The lighter flywheel will reduce rotating mass.....and that equates to quicker RPM changes when putting your foot in it or lifting. Regarding early mornings....you may find that you need to give her a bit more gas to avoid stalling.

I love my aluminum flywheel. What I noticed more than anything else was the quicker shifting. The RPMs drop off for the next shift much quicker.

I couldn't agree more Terry! What always baffles me is, some of the stories that surface about light flywheels not being very street friendly!!? I found it to be quite the opposite for me....much easier to drive! But then again, I'm running the close ratio 5 spd tranny and 4:10 diff with 24" OD rear tires behind an L28. Anyone considering a light weight flywheel may want to think about this........the amount of energy (HP) that it took to spin the additional weight of the old heavy flywheel verses a light aluminum flywheel is now going directly to the rear wheels. Basically, it frees up some horse power to the rear wheels and this is a good thing!

Having driven my own L6 Z with a 12 lb flywheel, another stockish Z with a 10 lb flywheel, and 510s from stockish to pretty crazy with 10 lb flywheels, I can tell you where the not-street-friendly stories come from.

4 cylinders. They just don't have enough rotating and reciprocating mass in the engine to keep it spinning as you try to let out the clutch, especially if you're on any sort of hill. My friend's 510 was the worst. He had a Nissan Comp pressure plate that was stiff as hell and 44 Mikunis on a L16. Worked great at the track, but it was damn near impossible to drive on the street. The stockish 510 actually wasn't so bad, but it was an L20B and it had a lot more torque down low. All of the L6's that I've driven with light flywheels were very easy to drive even in stop and go traffic, even my 44 Mikuni / ACT pressure plate setup.

Biggest advantage to the light flywheel IMO is in heel toe downshifting. Makes it 10x easier.

At one time I had both a 280ZX and a lightly modded L28 280Z. The 280 had the CF2 clutch and the light FW, ZX was stock. I dont think I ever got out of the ZX and into the Z without stalling it. Sure makes you feel a little goofy in front of spectators = ) It was easy to stall in normal driving, but I hardly ever did, other than when switching between vehicles. I consider it one of the higher impact mods I did, and one of the most enjoyable. It FEELS like you just woke up a little demon the first few times you drive it. I also had to drive the car with a blown out slave cylinder for a day, and rev-matching to shift without the clutch was a breeze. I have missed that car for 15 years now...