HybridZ

Project Update

spotfitz

4 months later and after 2 years I finally drove the beast. I put 4 new pics of her out of the garage for the second time in that same 2 years. I still need to adjust the carbs and set the timing, but I have 2 nice 8 foot long black marks in the road in front of my house to prove her worth. That was all because my across the street neighbor wanted it, ofcourse. :wink: Unfortunately I didn't take pics of those. It was good to play some darts in the garage. It brought back memories. I would like to thank, Willie(seen in my first sig pic, ex champion show dog, service dog and best friend, 12 yr old), Gabby(my cat 13 yr old), James Donelly(21 yr old) and James Dix(34 yr old) all of which have left this world in the past 4 months.

http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7958

More to follow....

• 2 weeks later...
:2thumbs: You going to bring it out next month?

I don't think she nor I will make it to the March meet. I've been sick the last week. Flu anyone? Maybe next month though. I do need to pay my dues. Tell the treasurer I'll get it in and tell everyone the mascot passed away back in Nov.

I still need new tires and to make her legal, which naturally I'm broke.

P22100091.JPG

• 6 months later...

After receiving a free '78 without a title and finding some rather interesting parts within it, I stripped what I wanted and scrapped the rest to fund my continuing project.

It's been awhile since any progress, but I have driven her some.

I took her for a tuning drive about a month ago and thanks to some A-hole running a stop sign I got to climb a curb, blow out both right tires and chip my front right rim. The same rims I have been trying to find an extra for since 2001! Anyone got these?

After acouple weeks of madness I finally got back in the garage to check the complete damage. Bent horns, raped air dam and I thin my front right strut is blown but no underbody damage. I put some extra tires on the right side and took her for some more tuning runs. The next thing I know I have a lack of power and she wants to die. By the time I got pulled over there was white smoke pouring out from under the hood. I knew I should have replaced that water temp sender that wasn't working.

Either the mechanical fan went into the radiator on the curb excursion and I didn't spot it or I don't know what. Just one blade of the fan was stuck in the radiator at a 90* angle about 2" from the tip. Now she won't start. I just got a tow home and parked her again.

I'm going to see whats going on with her now and see if the rebuilt motor is trash. Oh the joy of owning old Z cars!

What are you looking for I can put out an APB!

I now need atleast 2 of these (7X14, 0 offset):

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=17064&cat=500

I'm located in the DFW area, for shipment purposes. They do not have to be in perfect condition, but I'm open to anything at this point. If I can get the same look with a bigger size, that would be great!

From my understanding these were a dealer option for the early 260Z only. Apparently they were not that popular, except with the VW guys.

Car is looking slick!!!]

Thanks. I'm getting there. I think I'm starting to catch up to Pete for the longest project! :-)

Not much out there on those is there?? All i found was this, but they are gone now :(

http://www.zparts.com/ads/wheels/ads_removed/ads/wfs-19.html

That is about the only site I have seen them on before and I missed out on them. There was a set on Ebay awhile back, which is where I got my pic from, but they had been restored and he wanted way to much for them. I don't think they sold. I could have bought sportmax cheaper! I actually could have bought a whole other Z for the price. Really 3 considering my last purchase. Thanks for the help. Keep me posted if you find some.

• 5 months later...

Well, it appears that when I last drove the '74 and the fan ate the radiator which led to it overheating, that it warped the head because I now have a leaking head gasket. I was hoping to drive it to the next meet, but it isn't looking like that is going to happen. It also seems that everytime there is a meet I have to work late on that very day! I'll be pulling the head this weekend and see if it is infact a warped head of just a blown head gasket. Just one more delay in this ongoing 4 year rebuild.

I have to get it together before June because my step-son is coming back from Iraq and I told him we would go on a cruise with a bunch of other Z cars when he comes to visit.

• 3 years later...

Over 3 1/2 years, loosing my house, 4 moves, 5 different jobs and getting things turned around again and I'm back! I moved into a house back in August '11. Got a project motorcycle and another z car in '10.

I'll have to start another thread on my new $200 '78 which will eventually become my DD.

I'll be getting back on my '74 project this Christmas holiday. She has been in storage with almost all my other belongings since Sept. '08. I'm hoping to get her going and driving legally before summer, so stay tuned!

SPOT!!! Good to see you back buddy and glad to hear things are looking up. A two Z car household now. At least now you can enjoy driving a Z while the '74 continues as a project car.

Life up here has gotten interesting. My son moved up from Bedford last August and brought his LS1 240Z with him. Now we have the Z32 convertible and two LS1 powered S30's in the garage. Mines pretty much like you saw it last and his is a wide-body project car.