HybridZ

I'm caving in... Wheels wheels wheels...

..... After doing a nice little four wheel drift on a nice little favorite road of mine, I started to look at my tires and it got me to thinking of WHEN I will have to replace them... So I go and check to see what sizes are available in ultra Hi performance tires... Only one manufacturer makes wide enough V & Z rated tires for my car....Yokohoma. I won'r run H rated tires on the Z, as I think they are junk on performance cars... So looks like I'm gonna upgrade the wheels to 16 or 17 inchers so I can get the width and performance I need for the beast...

I'm openly soliciting all info on 16 & 17 inch wheels at this point... If you know of a manufacturer, please let me know... I'm looking at Centerline and Weld, but I'm also looking at Euro style/ Honda like wheels... and of course fittment is an issue!

Thanks!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go with weld, make sure that you get the correct series. I have the draglight

series 90 (i think). Mine are 16x8 with 4.5 offset... These rims are NOT suitable for auto cross. There is a series 91 draglite

that is stronger because it has a solid core.

Now i may be backwards on which series is which. The ones in the summit/jegs book with the * says for drag use only. The paperwork

that came with mine said something to the effect of not using them for off road/autocross on a vehicle weighing 4800 lbs or more.. I am going off of memory here so dont hold me to it!!

I have Yokohama z rated (very sticky) tires,

there are series A520 and 205/55ZR16....

Myron

DOn't get me wrong, I've heard nothing but good things about Yokohoma tires, but when they are the only brand that makes a wide enough tire for my current 15X8 wheels (running 265s in the rear for the flares) I get concerned when they to will drop the wide selection in 15 inch sizes...

Mike

------------------

mjk

I contacted TSW and they politely told me that they do not make a wheel for my application and do not do custom offset and sizing...

I guess they no longer support that service.

Mike

------------------

mjk

Frank 280z yes that 16x7 +12mm offset should fit, if you have lowered your car the tire may rub depending on the profile of the tire .

Mike I think TSW makes the +20mm offset, you might be able to sneak these on with coilovers, 265's might bulge too much . Most of the other brands are +40mm offset for those FWD cars .

Here is Walker Morgans Z, it kicks ass with 18x8.5 TSW Trophies .

drside2.jpg

http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/

look for his car under the links

[This message has been edited by clint78z (edited August 24, 2000).]

OMG - It's MY car!!!!

Seriously - that's my car color and he's running the bumnpers I've got in a box in the other room (glass naturally). My mirrors aren't body color but as ugly and nasty as they are they may be soon :-)

Wow - I really thank you for finding and posting this picture - that really helps me decide what sort of wheels would look good on my car! Now if I could just find as good a picture of a car with minilites on it - any color. Geez, he even has the trim stripped just like my car. I hope to have a WEB site up in a week or so and I'm going to enjoy looking at his site.

I hadn't considered going with a wheel as big as 18 due to tire cost but 17s or maybe 16s would work well. The TSW combo looks sweet and that pic is good enough to maybe swap other wheel onto it in Photoshop to play with and save me the trouble of taking a pic :-) I've even been to that site - that yellow car makes me swoon too and if I needed paint still his car was one of my inspirations.

Mike, what do you think? Like that better than Centerlines? I see he's 5lug too.

Wow, thanks again - you've made my day!

P.S. Cruising his site and found this -> http://www.eng.fsu.edu/~jthagard/otherzs/walker/mvc-043s.jpg How do I make a pic appear in a posting? Mike, that's a more "Honda" look. Not bad but I think the TSWs are a little better. That car has TONS of nice tweaks done to it including the muffler style I want and a nice gas cap mod.

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited August 24, 2000).]

....Well yesterday, after spending more on a stone the size of a #2 pancil erasor than a set of 17 inch wheels and tires would cost me..., my wheel buying decision is on hold... As for the current discussion, I'm not sure I like going to 5 lug, but I might try drilling some hubs and stub axles out... I do have an extra car... anyway, the TSWs are nice, as are the wheels on the yellow car. I am also looking at the new Centerline AZTEC which is less hotrod and more hitech... at $220 for a 17X9.5, it isn't a bad wheel...

What shocked me is the fact that 275-40-17s are only $154 each for Bridgestone RE730s... That is sweet.. My tires wil cost less than $600 total for two 275-40s and two 245-45s in 17" size...

Keep the info coming... I'm not buying anything until next spring, as I'm sure I'll need tires by then, and thats when I'm really looking to make a move on wheels as well!

Mike

------------------

mjk

[This message has been edited by Mikelly (edited August 25, 2000).]

Guest Carlissimo

Mike,

I too have had trouble getting good tires since BFG quit making Comp T/As in the 265/15-15 size. I am considering trying 245/50-15s on the rear next time (I have 15x9 wheels).

If you do bite the bullet and get new wheels, I recommend considering a tire size that is already in mass production today, such as for a Vette or 911 Porsche. That way you can rest asssured they won't quit making them again for a long,long time.

Carlo Rao

Tell me about it Carlo... We've got an Impalla SS and apparently it's the only vehicle around with that size tire! Played hell getting tires for it but stumbled across a GOOD deal mail order. We'd blown one tire right off the rim during the Winter and luckily had a friend with the same car who hadn't thrown away his old tires. Needless to say I've now got a spare old one in the garage too!

Juggling rim sizes and tire sizes without flares to get the right offset and not rub is going to be a bear. I'll try stock sized Mustang wheelstires on mine first before expending too much cash but I've got to go 5lug first.

Clint - getting into the 12 is pretty darned good no matter what. Many cars on the road today can't hit 12s despite what their owner's think. Doing it with that ECU is just icing on the cake! I hope he doesn't mind if I copy his car just a bit - I'm researching those wheels now on the TSW site :-)

• 1 month later...
Guest Twofortez

HELP!!!.....i've been doing some very exhaustive research ,and soul-searching as well,on the wheel& tire front and now i'm more confused than i was before i started!I would really prefer a 17 or 18 inch rim,but from what i've been reading on this forum as well as others,its not possible to go that big with KYB's and lowered Motorsport springs,and then i get a reply from the man that owns the orange/red z in the picture and he tells me that hes running 18's with ,if memory serves me,Kyb's and lowered springs,and NOT coilovers...then theres the 4 to 5 lug conversion ,plus the rear disk conversion,the mystical adapter/spacer concern....Im feeling a migraine coming on...

Guest Anonymous

You might try Boyd's wheels they claim any size, and being billet they should be able to accomodate the lug pattern and backset you want. Only down side is they cost bank...

Lone

Well I've been giving it some serious thought as well and I'm right back to the Centerline brand of wheels. By the time I convert to 5 lug I'll have somewhere around $150-200 in parts... plus the cost of the wheels. Centerline makes a very nice euro looking wheel called the AZTEC and I can get it in a 17X9 for around $195 each. That falls within $100 of the Cobra R wheel in a polished finish. If you don't like the look of billet, Youmight consider getting them powder coated... I'm thinking of getting the spokes on the AZTEC powedercoated wither black to offset the whit on the car, or white to compliment the white paint of the car...

I have a set of Centerline's on the car right now in a 15X8 and their finish and machine work on the wheel is impressive. Very nice product and super light for the money.. 16# for the 15X8 unit.

I'm gonna go with the AZTEC for sure!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Funny you should mention this Mike :-) I spotted the AZTEC in a new issue of StreetRodder - niiice! I MIGHT go with that wheel but I want to see how the Cobra Rs fit and get some idea of backspacing needs first. Parts to go coil-over are on the way now and I've got the brakes and whatnot to go 5lug already. Car is currently away but I hope to have it back tomorrow (finger's crossed). Do note that the AZTEC is one of their "new" wheels - I'm not sure of availablity yet. Do you know the weight? Will they do custom backspacing on that wheel or not? It's spin cast I think so custom work may not be possible. You'll want to check on all that to avoid a bad surprise...

Hrm - I THOUGHT I saw them on this page but now I don't -> http://www.centerlinewheels.com/w_catalog/features.html They might also be a 2piece wheel, I'm not sure. (sigh) If you find them please link 'em!

Nope, I checked with Centerline and they will custom make bolt pattern and backspacing. This particular wheel is between 19 & 21# in a 17X9.

http://www.centerlinewheels.com/w_catalog/billet.html

That is the site with them...

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Here's my $0.02 on the Centerline Aztec. I really like the way my stock 280zx n/a wheels look. Compared to many other wheels I've seen...they are really good looking. And 17x9? Wow...certainly beats those thingies on my car now. I've been looking to get new wheels...that one is certainly going to be one of my top considerations. Classy and free of the honda/acura driving crowds teens all around me.

• 5 years later...