HybridZ

Turbo Guys..Need Advice on my 300whp Goal - Please Chime In

slownrusty

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering, is this 300 to the rear wheels or the crank? If it is at the crank, how easy is it to get those numbers at the rear wheels. I have a project that I need to finish ( I haven't worked on the car for 2 years now. Damn house!) and I am thinking I would like to start with a solid 300 RWHP car to get me started. Thanks for the help and info.

I was going to say Superior Friction as well. They'll build you anything you want for a reasonable price. They're also about 8 miles from me and about 1 mile from my shop... ;)

Superior Friction: 408-436-1101

1610 Old Bayshore Hwy

San Jose, CA 95112, US

• 4 weeks later...

Good intercooler, stock injectors and injection, run fuel pressure up to 65psi with an FMU, and turn the boost to about 15psi. (the FMU is somewhat controversial...but it works :wink: )

Basically I run the same except I have a T04B and make 260rwhp/300rwt

120K miles never opened.

what do you guys think about running a p79 head with all the mods that were listed before? still sound like a easy way to get 300 whp?

I only ask because I can get P79's all day every day, but p90's are much harder to come by and twice the price.

So what do you think?

It has been proven that the P79 will flow as well as the P90, and has the same combustion chamber shape and size. I'm running a P79 on a superchaged L28 project and getting excellent results. No quite 300WHP, but not bad for an old Camden supercharger.

Hear is the dyno plot from Saturday: http://www.zccne.org/gallery/albums/clubcar2006/ZCCNE_280Z_SC.jpg

This plot includes traces from last year and this year. Last year I ran the flat top motor with an N47 head and stock cam. This year I'm running the same short block, but with a P79 head, and Com Camps 460/280 cam. Neither head has any fancy port or polishing work. I also added a Camden supercharger at 8psi. No intercooler. I'm runing around 21deg of advance at 8psi.

Last year: 155HP, 165ft-lbs

This year: 255HP, 225ft-lbs

You can see at 255HP the Megasquirt soft rev limiter is starting to kick in. I may be able to get a bit more power by setting the rev limiter a little higher.

P1010003.sized.jpg

DSC00004.sized.jpg

so, riddle me this Batman? If the P79 head works just as good as the P90... why arn't more people using them?

Z-ya is getting 255 whp with 8lbs of boost so 15lbs of boost on a p79 should get into that 300whp range (with all the other stuff, of course).

Why arn't more people using the P79 head? do those liners have that bad of a reputation?

Anyone else running a p79?

I think most people run P90 because of the square exhaust ports. L28ET turbo manifolds are square port.

I had a round port 6:1 header already that I was using with the N47, so I decided to go with the P79. With a little more advance, and raising the rev limiter to 7000RPM, I should be pretty close to 270WHP at 8psi.

round or square the flow rates are suposed to be close to the same, arn't they? And with the stock turbo exaust manifold you don't need to port the exaust unless you are looking for close to 400whp, right?

I'm sort of wondering why there arn't more people running the P79 head if 300whp is the goal. I can see running the P90 if you are looking for 4 or 500 whp, but with that kind of HP wouldn't you be running a turbo header and external waste gate anyway.

I'm really looking for someone to tell me why it wont work, any one?

The point of the liners If I remember correctly, is to raise the Exaust Gas temp so that more of the left over fuel will burn off, makeing for lower emitions. But how much does the temp get raised and wouldn't hotter exaust spin the turbo up faster? I would love to hear from a few Z memebers that are running the P79 turbo and what results they have gotten.

The liners can't increase EGT's. Unless they are on fire! All that I can think the liners would to would be to increase the port wall temperature in attempts to burn the last bit of unburnt fuel. Not gonna raise your overall temp much with that though.

Re: Clutch: I'm making a little over 300 to the wheels with the specs in my sig. I've been running a $180 clutch that I got from ebay for almost a year now. It's held everything I've thrown at it including several days at the track. It's a 6 puck Copper Ceramic sprung clutch with a HD PP. I think the guy that is selling them is calling it a XTD clutch. I'm sure it's just a unit that he has relabeled. It required very little break-in. The only thing is if you are going to be doing hard launches, you are supposed to slip it a little to heat it up first. That's a little backwards from organic or kevlar clutch linings. It tends to be grabby, but you can quickly learn how to avoid it by changing the way you actuate the clutch.