HybridZ

Turbo not boostin until redline

I got my 740's, APEXi power FC, datalogit, GT2871R and Z32 maf all going in my SR20DET. I have idle and have found a map that I think leans the car out enough to drive. Incidentally, I had to changed my plugs because the Power FC base map was so rich that they were completely fouled.

Here is my problem, the GT2871R is not hitting full boost until 7000 rpms. I can't figure it out. Of course, when I do hit full boost, my computer stops ignition because of the rev limiter and promptly flood my car. Anyone know?

I got my 740's' date=' APEXi power FC, datalogit, GT2871R and Z32 maf all going in my SR20DET. I have idle and have found a map that I think leans the car out enough to drive. Incidentally, I had to changed my plugs because the Power FC base map was so rich that they were completely fouled.

Here is my problem, the GT2871R is not hitting full boost until 7000 rpms. I can't figure it out. Of course, when I do hit full boost, my computer stops ignition because of the rev limiter and promptly flood my car. Anyone know?[/quote']

Rent dyno time with a wideband and tune it right before you even attempt any boost!

Sell your Power FC and get an aftermarket ECU that is supported by a local dyno operator. Available maps may be used to start a car and drive it carefully to the dyno tuner and thats about it, relying on one when going for full power is crazy.

Basic boost control is regulated by the turbo diaphragm, there are different ones available so you are not stuck with the 15psi one, been there done that.

What Dave said can be done with caution but you can't beat a proper dyno tune, besides which he has a fair bit of experience.

Back a few years ago, I was headed to the dyno edge with my car on a trailer behind my dodge to see what kind of HP my 406 was putting down. While on the freeway, I got my doors literally blown off by a white mustang that must of been doing 150+mph. Well, arrived at the dyno and there is that same mustang sitting in the parking lot. Nice car, super mondo turbo, water to air, totally gutted, funny car style cage, etc. It was Anthony Dickson. He just got the car running and while waiting for dyno time took a buddy for a ride. Mind you his car wasn't tuned with a wideband yet. They came back with 4 cop cars in tow all with lights on. The license plate on the mustang was registered to another car, and Anthony was begging not to get his car impounded and a quick trip to jail. His wife was looking on in amazement, anthony probably hasn't begged like that since the last time she locked him out of the house. Fortunately for him the cop had a mustang race car and had compassion for him. I don't think he even got a ticket and one of his buddies went and snatched a trailer for the ride home.

Anyway, the mustang makes it on the dyno, fires up, smokes abit. He says, it's a new budlong motor, gotta break in. It lays down 1200rwhp, actually maxes out the dyno while leaving a huge puddle of oil under the downpipe. I say they hurt the motor, they say turbo seals.

In the end it was a piston gone. That's what happens when you boost it with out tuning. Anthony obviously had pleanty of $$$ to get that fixed and several other motors as well that had the same fate before he sold the car for $30K.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with everyone else about getting the car tuned, but to answer your question as to why the turbo wont spool until 7000 rpm it possible u have a wastegate problem. Check your hoses, couplers, ect. and make sure its closed until boost kicks in.

I think I can help you out here, what timing map are you running?

Can you send me or post a copy of your timing and fuel maps?

Is the PowerFC a virgin, or has it been tuned for another engine? (did a shop modify the base map previously)

Just for a little credibility... I've tuned an SR20DET to 363rwhp with a PowerFC for a friend.