HybridZ

280zx Front Air Dam Fabrication Pics

mentallylost

Its nice to see someone else trying to modify a ZX. Are you going to fabricate sideskirts to complement that fascia? And are you going to lower the vehicle? What did you use to build the shape of fascia, you know a subframe to stretch fabric over? Kinda reminds me of the electramotive ZX or the Arizona Z car kit but only to a small degree. Really anything for a 280zx is original so I give you a :icon14: for you efforts and creativity, keep it up and keep updates coming.

Thanks for the comments y'all. Yes, it is big. Yes, Bob Sharp's cars influenced this. And yes, I am going to end up fabricating some side skirts to go along with it. Ultimatley, I will end up building a wide body for it.

If you notice from the front end view, no tires penetrate beyond the end of the dam. They are fully enclosed. And the front end is only 5 inches off of the ground. So it's big yeah. But it's going to push a lot of air aside.

It's built from 20 gage steel. And it took a lot beating with hammers, rolling with pipes and bars, and welding to get the shape. Not to mention the seemingly endless back and forth with templates making sure that it is even.

I will end up lowering the car 1 1/2 inches when I get back to the suspension.

D280zxmod, good looking car.

• 2 months later...
Guest l28et

Its cool to see you doing your own work. I think 280ZXs are hideous, but I have seen one front end I liked:

MoveOver.jpg

Needs a big FMIC stuffed in there, but its HOT. Flushed, rounded, gives the car a modern look, but its classy and understated.

• 1 month later...

I think that front air dam looks great. When you get serious about pushing air around, you wind up with just what you have. It looked all business. There was a fairly extensive and well written post somewhre here a few weeks ago that addressed airodynamics on the front of the z car. You smoothed out the front of that car a ton. Put a good spliter under it and you'll really plant fhe front of that car. You will need ducts for air to the front brakes. Parker Punper out here in Cal. makes a good NACA duct that will work well in the side of that dam just behind the curve. You can duct it to the caliper and It won/t mess up the air flow around the front end either. You did a lot of hard work, and it looks fast to me. Look good or go fast? The two are not always the same.