HybridZ

Is there a clutch for a 225mm L6 under 225HP for $350 or less?

OlderThanMe

Well I have now seen all of these bad threads about all of the clutch companies except 10k rpm...I need a clutch for my 2.6 NA Z that will never make more than 225hp until I go to a bigger engine way in the future. I was looking at the spec clutches but then up came the thread about them. I have a budget of $350 for a clutch and I would really like it soon before the ZdayZ event in a month. I also want to drive the break-in period for at least a week before the event to be safe. any help would be apreciated. 10K rpm seems to be a bit expensive. their clutch disc is like $279...or is that the entire clutch?

I have the Centerforce II with traditional clutch disc, not DF. It was under $250 from Summit. Designed for the '82-83 turbo, mine is NA. No complaints with the clutch, but I have either the wrong clutch collar or throw out arm, so trans has to come out again. Doh! It does release since installation of an '89 240sx 11/16 slave, but RIGHT at the floor. OK to drive, but disc drag won't let you shift at speed.

Anybody have or know of something that will hold over 300hp and 2xx ft/lbs torque for the 225 mm flywheel?

I run a Clutchspecialties 4 puck and PP with a 225mm flywheel. It will easily hold the torque if you don't mind the lack of a marcel and instant grab.

I'd bet that the ACT clutch would hold that kind of power. I mean I'm supposedly at 240 whp and I'm using the weaker of the two pressure plates they sell with a STOCK clutch disk and getting no slipping. They have an upgraded friction material on one disk, then I think they have 6 pucks, sprung and unsprung. I'd try the "extreme" pressure plate with the regular disk. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it did the job.

I'll probably go with the stock disc and stronger ACT 240sx pp. I forgot about this thread since I went to the beach last week.

I have seen too many incidents with the 6 puck eating flywheels. and too many cfdf discs melting down.

Now that I have these wider tires that don't break loose as easily the clutch gives first. I dropped it pretty high while turning slightly from a stop and it spun the clutch and barely chirped tire.

I am going to order the clutch tomorrow. I can get the heavy duty pp for around $215-$230 alone. The extreme pp with street disc kit was $375 or so and the Heavy duty version was $319. Since the kit comes with all your bearings I would like to replace those. Do I use the 240sx t/o bearing and thrust bearing? or do I need oem stuff.

Thanks

• 1 month later...