HybridZ

Valve Cover venting....IDEAS?

Since the stock valve covers are not fitting over the roller rockers, I'm trying to come up w/ a clean looking set of valve covers and a way to let them breath w/ out using the little dome breathers or regular vents to carb. The valve covers I found are EDY-4157

Like these but with out the Edy logo... http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rls=SUNA%2CSUNA%3A2006-12%2CSUNA%3Aen&q=edelbrock+4157

I have gone through summit, jegs and a couple of other parts houses, Google, and all others to try and find something unique and fairly inexpensive. Has anyone got pics for ref on theirs? Any ideas? I was thinking it would be cool to come off the back side of both valve covers to a T or Y fitting then to a breather, or maybe to an exhaust scavange set up.

Basically I am wanting to keep the engine compartment fairly business looking and don't want too many protrusions here and there, but the last time I didn't put breathers on my valve covers, it ended up blowing out the rear main seal!

Thanks!

You might take a look at the chinese Summit brand cast alum valve covers. They're just a plain polished VC that is tall enough to clear my rollers and stud girdle. I've been using them a couple of years with good results.

For breathers I'm using a set of the moroso oil separators, the ones used in the crankcase evac kit, with a pair of K&N filters. This is a somewhat goofy looking setup that works very well, but doesn't have the clean no BS look I like. I've been trying to come up with something better, but haven't hit on it yet.

John

I have seen some trick looking breathing setups on fabricated valve covers, but I can only assume they work since I never asked the guy if he would set it up the same way. Picture this: a 90 degree angle fitting off of the end of the valve cover to a braided steel line and merging with the same thing from the other side to a common vent. I saw this years ago, but I was impressed by the way it looked. Again, this was on a show car and I didn't get to ask how well it worked; I can only assume it did. Not cheap, but trick looking anyway.

Davy

I think I'll go w/ the dirt track covers for now, cheap and fairly plain. Need to get them on so I can drop this motor in! I'll figure out my stealthness later :)

Thanks guys.

Davy, that's what I was thinking of but the $$ of AN fittings is retarded! Maybe someday when I get my own mill/lathe, I'll fab soemthing up.

Bill I"ve got a set of those tall Edlebrock covers I'll ship you for $20 to cover shipping...

If you're feeling generous, donate the rest to Mike's (ON3Go) "project"...

Let me know if you want them...

Mike

• 1 year later...
I think I'll go w/ the dirt track covers for now, cheap and fairly plain.

I did go w/ these and like the way they look BUT, the valve cover with out the breathers is flexing in and out with the engine pushing air inside. It's very slight and easier to feel than see. What's happening is that there is one little point in the center that flex's just enough to come in contact w/ the tip of one of the roller rocker arms. I thought that one of my valves needed adjustment becuase this is quite loud at RPM. So I pulled the VC off and discoverd the mark on the inside. The mark isn't a gouge, more like a rub, and the corner or the rocker that is touching dosn't look damaged but the noise and the fact that there is contact bothers me.

I guess the best solution is to dimple that point out some? Just wondering if any one else has has this issue, and what they did to resolve.

Thanks fellas, this little Z is a screamer :)

Stack up a second valve cover gasket.

That will work! And, they also sell extra thick valve cover gaskets too. I used some red RTV to 'glue' two thin ones together and it surely does work. However, if I was to do that again, I'd buy the extra thick gaskets instead.

Davy