HybridZ

Bolt action rifle advice?

Sparks280zt

No, it's not you, everyone enjoys a gun that doesn't kick or that drives tacks. Better yet is one that doesn't kick and drives tacks. You can't be competitive with a gun that knocks the tar out of you period end of story. You'll develop a flinch whether you like it or not. H.F. Combs in Socorro, builds a custom three port muzzle brake, works better than any I've ever shot. $150 installed! They work, buy one, you won't be sorry!

Armalite AR-50. I havent shot too many guns with brakes, but I have shot a few through one of those and I have to say it was much more pleasant to shoot than my 300 win mag. After a while though, I noticed that the rearward blast from the muzzle brake was making my nose run like crazy :) Armalite also makes a smaller version called the AR-30: http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/ar30.htm

Prices seem to have gone up since I looked at these last, but are still a bargain for what it is.

You're gonna hate me, but here's yet another option :)

TikkaT3_Varmint.jpg

http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=28

The Tikka T3 Varmint. About the same price as a Remington, but with a much smoother action. These are the budget versions of the Sako rifles. They also make a T3 Tactical version that has a huge muzzle brake on it for about $1400.

Regardless of which brand oif rifle you choose, I think you'll get more enjoyment out of either the varmint or tactical models. They are more purpose built for target shooting than hunting rifles are. Anyway, hope this helps a little. I've got about 30 or 40 other rifles I can post links too just to make the decision even more difficult :)

Mike

I second the savage for the money. Not the prettiest gun. Not the best gun. However, it is probably the best gun for the money. The accu-trigger is nice too.

Are you sure that you want a bolt gun. I bought a rock river arms AR-15 with a 24" Varmint barrel. According to the magazines, it will shoot a 4.5" group at 500 yards with factory match ammo straight out of the box. That is sub-minute of angle accuracy at 500 yards with a .223. They also have an accuracy guarantee. I got mine out of the box, shot hornady (non-match) ammo. I put about 20 rounds through it, then shot a .25 x 1.5" group at 150 yards off the back of my truck quickly without sandbags. It was windy and the 1.5" deviation was from side to side. It is a tack driver. Most shoot .25" groups at 100 yards when bagged and with a good shooter.

The brakes are nice. I put about 40 rounds through my remington 300 ultra mag and then had a high quality brake put on it. First time out I put 3 rounds at 100 yards touching each other, no more anticipation. It was no pleasure to shoot without a brake. BTW, the 300 RUM is a nice round, but I still like my old hand me down 308 Model 788 remington.

Yea i want a bolt, i already have a semi auto carbine and a pump shot gun, just want a bolt. I think im gonna go with a savage.

Are you quite certain you wouldn't rather have one of these? Heh heh heh.....

AW04V3.jpg

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/AI_rifles.html

Seriously though, the Savage is an excellent choice. I highly doubt that you'll be dissapointed.

Mike

Good pick, the stainless looks really good, and the muzzle brake is definitely a plus. 308's don't kick too hard for the most part, but it's nice to have the recoil reduced enough so that you can actually watch through the scope as the bullet hits the target. If you shoot from a bipod, be sure to put a sheet or tarp on the ground under the muzzle area, because brakes tend to kick up a lot of dust.

Have you picked out a scope mount yet? I'm using this one on mine, and am really pleased with it:

100001054.jpg

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=18358&title=SCOPE+BASES

There are a few reasons I went with a weaver/picatinny base. First is that it's a one peice base made from 4140 steel. It adds a lot of rigidity to the receiver which makes for a more accurate shooting platform. Second is the multiple slots that allow for a lot of mounting options. You can postion the rings further foward or backward to set the correct eye relief for your scope, you can also add more rings to make the scope mount nearly indestructible. The design of the rail itself also allows you to remove and reinstall the scope without much of a shift in zero. At 100 yards, you probably wouldn't even notice it.

They make two versions for the savage, one is level with the bore, and the other is angled to give you 20 moa of elevation at 100 yards. The 20 moa base is designed for long range shooting, it allows you to use more of the scopes internal adjustments to compensate for range, out to 1000 yards or more. The angled base doesn't affect short range shooting at all once you get it zeroed. The only downside to it is that it doesn't come in a stainless finish to match your rifle :(

• Administrators

Ok, here goes my opinon again :icon56:

I swear by Redfeild mounts and rings but I got tired of cleaning my guns and not being able to remove the scope without it being a pain in the *** so based on a recommendation from a friend I switched to Warne QD rings.

I have allways hated quick disconnect rings but I swear by these now, I have them now on 2 muzzle loaders and my A-bolt, they are the only ones that I have ever found that really do "return to zero" they kick ***!

You can use a standard Weaver base with them too.

They can be hard to find sometimes, here is were I ordered mine.

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/warne_maxima_mounts.htm

Again, just my .02