HybridZ

Anyone using stock halfshafts with 300hp+

ZR8ED

Like the title says. Just curious. I hear lots about guys switching to cv's when going much over 250rwhp for the extra strength..or is it longevity?

Why I ask?

I am still using stock halfshafts.. Have been for years. I replaced the halfshafts just before my VG30ET swap..maybe a year before..well that would have been 1999 or so. I'm still running the same ones.. I do inspect them at the start of the season, before a track event, and at the end of the season.

I personally believe that mine are doing well because I'm running a fairly stiff suspension setup, and my cars ride height positions my halfshafts almost horizontal to the ground.

I'm not trying to start a debate on which is better, I'm just curious who is able to beat up on their stock halfshafts with some decent hp/tq.

I understand that if I took it to the dragstrip every weekend, I may not feel the same way about halfshafts. My car is mainly street driven with a few drag days/road courses per year..

I am/was running stock halfshafts. I dyno'd with about 300/300 to the wheels. No problem for the time I was running those (about 2k). I'm swithing over to CV's currently because I now have a 4.11 LSD rear and figured I'de step up. My car is street driven right now.

:cool: I am running halfshafts right now. Last weekend I rebuilt them and put new boots on them. I have a not so stock L-28 engine in it and have raced it for the past 5 years. Not pushing more then 200 horsepower from it. I took them apart and put new grease in them. They didn't show any wear at all. But the new car I am working on will have a V-8 in it and I have been looking at CV shafts for it. They will take a lot of abuse. Good Luck, Rich.

I ran stock halfshafts on my 400 hp 355 sbc and now run them on my 350whp sr20det. I have had no problems. However, I never hook up. When I had the sbc, it was a 700R4 auto that would just smoke the tires. The SR20DET does not make crazy horsepower until boost. Typically, it spins just a little, accelerates, hits boost, then starts spinning the tires again. No hard launches on drag tires. I think that is when the problems with the stock halfshafts occur.

I smoked two of them as soon as I went to slicks at the track. If you spin a little it will work but if you dead hook you better watch out. My set up is a 383/700r4. I swapped to the CV's for piece of mind, that said I live at the track and do a little racing in other locations off the side so to speak.

350 sbc est 350hp

Muncie m20

welded 3.90 diff

255 50 16 rears

10 launches on halfshafts

2 blips of the throttle and dump the clutch on the third at 3200 rpm and then stand on it.

Broke driver's side diff side universal.

tore one of the 4 bearing shafts off the joint

stock ujoint hollow?

That flopping half shaft ate the lower portion of the rear control arm.

280zxt conversion done.

I will report when it fails

I run stock half shafts with Nissan soild U joints, I have not broken one of the U joints but I cracked an axel in half launching on slicks.The Neapco units worked until running with slicks on a really sticky track, then they were powdered metal.535rwh 490fpt 10.96@127.76.