HybridZ

What about this electric fan

jmark06

Guest ZFury

I used the 16" on my 300ZX. But honestly, you could prolly go smaller if you wanted to with the Z series. I could have gone smaller, but the 16" fits perfect and works great. It just pulls quit a few amps.

What circut are most of you running your fans off of? It appears that

the said fan does not come with a thermostat. Do you just tap into a

circut that is hot only when the car is on so it runs all the time only

when the key is on? or do most of you run a separate stat?

I'm in need of a electric fan and the price is right on these but it

seems they only have the 16inch fan that is a step down from the one

originally posted. It has a 3in center rather then a 3.2. Other then

that they seem fairly close. Do you think this will be sufficient for a

moderately upgraded L28ET?

thx

Nathaust

Guest ZFury

I just have a simple set up with mine. Mine is connected directly to the battery & I use a switch. This is too much of a load to try and leach it off of the stock harness. But using a thermo switch, or a relay would work also and could be wired so it wouldnt leach.

So the one you are refering to uses a smaller motor but is still 16". My guess it that it would work. Bigger is better in this case though, but you may also need a bigger alternator to go with that fan.

• 1 month later...

I odered one of the 14 inch models off of ebay today. I'll let you guys know how well it works on my ZX once I get it installed.

I was going to go with a 14 inch flex-a-lite syclone series and these ones on ebay look 90% identical. The 3 year warrenty is what really got me buying. Who cares if the motor burns out in a year if they replace it? And also I ordered a flex-a-lit fan controller on summit so hopefully setting that up will be a snap.

I'll post my review of the fan here once I have it installed.

I've used a 16 inch on a previous project, cooled great, only problem I found with it was when it was running it sounded like a helicopter , my wife said she could hear the fan coming up the driveway before she could hear the engine.

On my 260z 1JZ I put on two 12 inch(perfect fit onto rear side of 260Z standard radiator- no shroud- intercooler covers most of front side)hooked up 2 temp switches so they would run sequentially, Even on a 40c degree day,city driving, runs quiet and cool on one ,I don't even think fan number 2 ever cuts in.

they were no-name off ebay Australia, $34 each new with switches.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I switched to the eBay 16" fan my engine was running quite a bit hotter. I think the Taurus fan pulls more air and has a bigger shroud to pull air through a larger area of the radiator.

My choices were to fab up a better shroud or to make some minor modifications to get the Taurus fan to fit again (of course, this is assuming that the cooling fan was the source of the problem). Well I chose to try to get the Taurus fan back in, and it didn't take as much work as I thought it would.

The engine runs much cooler now. The engine was showing well over 200 degress before and now it's running around 180 max.

So the bottom line is this fan is good, but you really can't beat the Taurus fan for maximum performance.

P.S. - Anyone want to buy a slightly used electric fan?

:mrgreen: