HybridZ

What fun, decent performance cars would you consider for $13-14k?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

I've seen a couple really nice Celica GT-S's in this area and in my price range. Only thing is I really am leaning towards getting something RWD. I miss the handling dynamics...

That Camaro sounds nice but my wife will flip if I get something with so high mileage, and god forbid I did get it and ONE thing failed on it I'd never hear the end of it. Need to save that 'older car' card for when it comes time to buy another Z!

I have considered MR2's... Havent seen any nice ones for sale yet except a couple of the last gen ones but they were going for WAY too much money.

Still strongly considering Miatas but I just read specs on the Celica GT-S... I never would have guessed they weigh only 2500 lbs!!! 180 hp and 2500 lbs should be pretty nice performance... hell my Sentra SE-R was 2400lbs and 140 hp and it was a blast.

If I do go FWD then it's gonna be the Celica I think. A very nice one in my area with 50,000 miles (that's nothing on a your typical Toyota) for $13,000

Guest l28et

I remember reading about an MR2 Spyder in some magazine that ran 11s with a turbo kit and light spray. 2200lbs, 140hp stock. Turbo kits readily available. I think it could be a fun little car.

After taking a specmiata and beating up on some serious HP cars, I can't say a single bad thing about those little cars... you'd never be able to wipe the grin off your face with that car... Yea, you'll hear stupid comments about it being a "girl" car, until you wax their arses on the first cloverleaf on/off ramp.

Camaros are big and heavy (Over 3500#) and don't brake well at all... Mustangs aren't bad, but again, big and heavy... If the MR2Spyder is as noisy as the older 1st and 2nd generation MR2, I wouldn't give you a plug nickle for that pile... I drove my step son's car to work once, and never again. The noise coming from the engine compartment, sitting right at your ears was enough to give me a headache and I'm a drummer, Really hard to give me a headache with noise...

If/When I sell the Vette, I'm considering buying an E36 M3 to knock around in for the rest of this year until I decide on what I'll buy next year. And I'm also looking at M Roadsters.

That would be my pic, or a MazdaSpeed Miata.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Guest bastaad525

I"m still shopping. No rush, anyways.

I just moved at the beginning of June, and my new neighbor HAS a Mazdaspeed Miata... so I get to look at that thing every day walking out to my car. He's got his head in the clouds though, thinks the thing is just so fast... tried to start talking smack about my Neon, but to me it's like... okay I know how people get when they think they 'know' something, so I'll just let him talk.

I think my refusal to argue or even reply irked him quite a bit :D

I know the last MR2's, stock, were quicker than the Miata's, but they are pretty rare and the few I"ve seen for sale were overpriced. I haven't driven one to know if they are noisy/annoying as Mike says, but I think I would LOVE owning a rear engined car.

So... I'm still in the market, looking at GTS's, MR2's, and Miata's... and the odd Integra GS-R or other hopped up grocery getter :icon14:

I'm a second for a Beemer. Just not the V8. Early to mid 90's cars had a rep for imploding, but the inline 6 is a hammer. The V8 cars are more expensive to operate and repair in general. (But you have to LOVE that 540-6 combo!)Get an E36 two door sport manual trans. 97-98 just to stay in your age/mileage range. We have a '95 325is we bought as a lease return in '98 with 34k miles on it. It has 118k now and has been a great car. I've done all maintenance/repair myself and have found the car no more difficult or more expensive to own than any other late model performance car.

I've always loved the S30 Z's,but I owned an '87 GTA Trans Am for 11 years and loved it.Went through the engine/suspension upgrades,etc.$$ and more$.Thought I'd have that car forever....Until the girlfriend wanted me to get something more reliable....Now I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee,which I simply call 'The Chrysler Product'.The girlfriend is now an ex,and with my '71 Z,I'm looking to incorporate a few things from the 3rd generation Firebirds,a TPI 350 for starters.Can't wait to get it running.....For the $$$,can't go wrong with the Firebirds/TA's IMO.

For 14 grand, you can buy a brand new scion, no?

I have a scion xB, and while some may call it a wussy car with no horsepower and the aerodynamics of a borg mothership, I find it to be a great car to drive. It has plenty of power for me, (get the 5 speed) and can be reliable with 150 horsepower if you opt for the supercharger.

The power? 100 horses, but once you figure out how to drive it and squeeze every last bit of power from that 1.5, you'll be in great shape. I don't have passing problems if I downshift.

The mileage? I get a solid 30 with my lead foot. 29.5 with a/c.

Maintenance? little to none.

It's really nice to have traction control and ABS. I activate the ABS daily on my way to work over a gentle S on the freeway offramp so I know it works. 32k and still on the original brakepads too.