HybridZ

now you may question my sanity after this........

Some-Guy

I got it all working and running well!!! Still unregulated but I can work around that untill I figure out exactly how to do it...(i have no idea tried what the guy sugested but it doesnt seam to work and the reostat catches fire)

anywho this is the final design it works real well leaves a solid bead and I can push a 5/32 through plate like its butter...

mini-100_0486.jpg

mini-100_0485.jpg

mini-100_0484.jpg

mini-100_0483.jpg

mini-100_0482.jpg

mini-100_0481.jpg

I mounted the terminals up on the side so we can add a tig torch onto it later..that will be the next thing after I figure out how to regulate this sucker..

If you know.. Please enlighten Me because I cant get it to work right! after I post this iam going to go out an attempt to figure it out.

also Its running at around 115 volts and 10 amps according to my clip on ammeter but I dont trust it very much the 115 volts was double checked with 2 meters so thats acurate..

Why a electric motor? Not trying to flame, just wan to know your reasons. You could of used a lawn mower engine since the alternator isn't position ordiented to function. Then you could of modded a go pedal to change amp/voltage haha.

I have to say cool though. great work.

You cant use a lawn mower motor I tried a 7hp briggs and once it started in on a full arc it bogged the briggs right out and kept stalling it. Built for a friend of myne as long as i get to use it!(he has too much money anyway)

Mostly just built purely because we can. Sometime in the next month or 2 I wil be getting a nice shiny new miller!

** edit I forgot to say the brigs was BRAN NEW so it wasnt 20 years old an worn out.. and it still didnt make enough power

but the 5hp electric comp motor works great.

That thing looks like an accident waiting to happen. It also looks ingenious and funny.

Maybe you could put in some electric baseboard heat in line to put a load on it it to regulate it down. It may not fit inside the cart unless you bend the elements. Oh wait, get some heating elements from mom's electric range.

heh heh you guys are awesome its actualy "SAFER" than it looks haha Iam thinking bike wheels sometime I still figure out the REOSTATS tho... which I keap burning up because its drawing damn near 50 amps Im not getting it maybe its wired wrong?

anyway ill have to figure it out this week sometime its raining alot

...7hp briggs and once it started in on a full arc it bogged the briggs right out and kept stalling it...

...the 5hp electric comp motor works great...

[off topic... sort of]

Makes me wish we had usable nuclear batteries or similar... electric motors have so much torque... nearly instantaneous too. as much as i like engines... if/when a good electric source like a nuclear battery were ever produced for the public' date=' electric motors would just totally dominate the streets. Take for instance the AC Propulsion tzero...

2450 lbs.

200 hp

183 ft. lb. torque

...runs 4 second 0-60's and 13 second 1/4 miles

How?

It makes the 183 ft. lb. of torque from 1 (yes, that's 1) to 5,000 rpm and the 200 hp from 6,000 to 10,000 rpm.

The motor itself only weighs 110 lbs... imagine having some sort of long lasting power source that was equally as light (i know for sure a nuclear batter has the long lasting part)....... run one motor per wheel... 732 ft. lb. torque from 1-5000 rpm, 800 hp from 6000-10000... makes me giggle like a little school girl. :lol:

[end off topic... teehee (had to throw that one in because of the school girl comment) :lol: ]

Try this for adjusting current:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006050206351896&item=2263&catname=electric

They sell surplus generators that you can use to make a pretty trick welder with serious output. How about this one? 400 amps at 30v!

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2006050206351896&item=6-936&catname=electric

Just good ol' boys' date='

Wouldn't change if they could,

Fightin' the system like a true modern day Robin Hood.[/quote']

Reminds me of a photoshop I did awhile back:

generaldatsuncopy1yj.th.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't know who owned the original car, but credit to them.