HybridZ

Belt driven what?

CruxGNZ

Hmm lemme do some figuring.

Engine RPM - 5000

Alternator RPM - est. 10,000

Turbo RPM - est 20,000

Is 20,000 even close to being on a flow map? Not usually. Normal turbos start blowing in their optimal range at about 50,000 RPM.

Not too mention...a decent running turbo JY motor is cheaper than that kit.

Without a doubt that is a supercharger system not a Turbo charger system. I have been doing forced induction for over 20 years and that one made me laugh my butt off. Can you imagine how fast the alternator is going to give out on that thing especially with the extra side loads on the bearings. Besides impeller drive superchargers are not near as efficient as screw type. This one must be for a small 4 cylinder since it can not do the volume do to the size of it and the pressure side. I will have to send that ebay url to some guys I know in the industry and they will love it. Good one.

I only saw a feasible belt driven turbo kit (supercharger) once in my life. It was made in Holland or Norway, I emailed the guy back and forth for details. He was using a timing belt pulley on the crankshaft to drive a sealed oil bath planetary "gearbox" mounted to the engine block. The reason I put "gearbox" in quotes is because it was really a friction wheel box; "gears with no teeth". Toothed gears would have far too much friction and generate far too much heat and noise at the extremely high RPMs of a turbo compressor. I think his kit was about $2000 but it made FAR more sense than this ebay hodge-podge. I am trying to find the link to the friction drive setup. It was a few years back and may be gone.

Without a doubt that is a supercharger system not a Turbo charger system. I have been doing forced induction for over 20 years and that one made me laugh my butt off. Can you imagine how fast the alternator is going to give out on that thing especially with the extra side loads on the bearings. Besides impeller drive superchargers are not near as efficient as screw type. This one must be for a small 4 cylinder since it can not do the volume do to the size of it and the pressure side. I will have to send that ebay url to some guys I know in the industry and they will love it. Good one.

most Cent. superchargers have an internal gear ratio to speed the compressor up. Who knows if this does. Corky Bell believes that the Cent. have the hightest peak efficiencies. Supercharging the Z always intrested me, do you have links to good screwsuperchargers?

There really are not any kits available for the Z at this time from what I have seen. Camden use to make one but they where all being shipped out of Austin Texas until they got into a legal battle with B&M and I believe that ended that for them. Jim Cook racing had the Camden stuff at one time and then I believe the changed to Weiand, but I am not sure if they sell that anymore or very limited. There was a person on this board that made there own that they where going to put into production but that was a while ago and they also had a video of it on an oval track. I am not sure if it ever made it to production or they determined the same as others did, which is that you could generate more power and a better weight distribution with a V8 in the Z car. If you wanted to build your own you can do what most do is buy a Weiand supercharger and have a manifold made for it. I looked at some of these from TRD and they seem like you could side mount the TRD supercharger (the older cream gray colored on) and use the plenum from the TRD and make some manifold that consists of pipes going from the TRD to the head along with some flanges. This could be a simple solution that would probably cost under 2K to do. The older TRD system comes with a belt tension pully that you could mount fairly easily by drilling a hole or two in the oversized mounting plate. Since these superchargers only put out about 7 to 8 pounds of boost to a 3.4 liter Toyota engine they should put out enough volume flow for the Z engine. That brings down the point that you would probably want to run more boost than 7 to 8 pounds. well what you can do is call TRD in California and let them know that you have one of their systems on your truck, 4 runner, o camery and say that it is detonating a lot under not so hard acceleration. They will send you a larger pulley which drops the boost down to about 4.5 to 5 pouunds of boost. With this go to your local machine shop and have this pulley turned down to about 2.375 inches in diameter which should yield about 15 to 17 pounds of boost from the TRD supercharger. Now for the fuel and throttle body. Pick up a 4-Runner or possibly a Supra throttle body along with the air box and plumbing which is much bigger than a 60 mm throttle body (I do not recall the size sorry about that). Try to find a Supra turbo in the junk yard and get the injectors from that and all should be fairly stright forward after that.

Now where to find the Weiand Superchargers - well TRD is one place but the funny thing there are a lot of kits and some factory cars with superchargers that use a version of the Weiand. Next time you hear of a factory car with a supercharger in it, take a look and see if it has some gray cream (more and more black ones these days) colored supercharger on it and then see if it is marked with the Weiand name (chances are that it is). So you can find these in places like EBAY (make sure you check it out for play in every case), Craigs list, junk yards, etc. I just suggest the TRD version because it appeared to be a fairly easy install with only one serious fabrication which would be the manifold. It would fit side mounted since I actually kind of put it in place and the fabrication did not seem like it would be too out there for someone with some skill in welding or access to a machine shop.

On a side note: Impeller types of superchargers work well and allow for easier starts then the Screw types while the Screw types allow for a cooler and bigger charge to placed into the chambers, which is the main reason why professional drag racers also prefer those types.

I hope that helps and I still enjoyed the alternator driven supercharger.

Found this in superboosted's store.

I haven't been playing with forced induction for very long, but I've never seen anything like that. Is it a new concept?

Also, I looked up charge cooler on ebay and found truck intercoolers, is there another name this thing goes by?