HybridZ

What metal to get to practice MIG?

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

Now that I need to learn to get good with my MIG before I can move on with my car I need to practice on something. I looked up a couple of steel places in my area and was thinking of stopping by one of them tomorrow. I was just wondering what do you think would be the best thing to get to get some practice in? Should I just get a solid plate of like .8" thick steel or get some angle iron or what?

If it helps any I need to get a fuel cell setup in the back of my Z so I'm gonna need to be practing with something like the frame rails so I don't punch a hole in them or something.

Go get an old fender, hood, trunk deck lid, etc from a junk yard, cut it up and burn away. You'll get good on that stuff, and moving to thicker stuff will be easier than trying to start on thick stuff and moving down from there. Just an opinion.

You can also go by most body shops and ask them for old dented or damaged panels that they're trashing anyway. You'd be shocked at how much metal a good body shop throws away daily.

Guest TegRacer324

Hmm good idea. Actually the fender on my Integra is junk and I have to new one in my garage. It isn't the right color, but eh screw it mine as well use it. My friend's dad owns a body shop too. Hmm I was stupid to never ask.

Not stupid at all, don't feel that way. Some of us think a little more "resourceful" (read: CHEAP) than others, that's all. I was shocked to see how much got thrown away that was still useful for playing with and making patch panels and whatnot. Heck, look at the taillight panel on my car, it used to be the side of a Ford Aerostar cargo van, and all of the rust hole replacement patch panels came from cutting up a Ford F150 hood. Be creative!

Check in your area for commercial hollow metal door and frame places. They will have a lot of door cut outs and door frame cut offs in a steel bin ready to go to scrap. The frame material is usually 16g, the door cut outs are usually 18g.

Guest TegRacer324

With scrap metals on car what's the best way to prep them to get the paint off? Lots of Sand paper and laquer thinner?