HybridZ

Aston Martin takes on Orville and Wilbur

JMortensen

Picture314.jpg

It feels like photo shop to me. Look how the suspension still appears to be compressed, unlike any legit photo you see of a car in flight where the wheels hang down all the way. I don't buy that these astons have that short of a wheel travel that it wouldn't hang down any lower than that...

well in photos 2 and 3 the little white spot on the edge of the rim is in the exact same spot...could just be a circumstance...

ever heard the phrase "when you spin, both feet in" ?

I would lock up the brakes if I was flying too.

Guest 73Turbo240z

He's trailing tire smoke too... i'd wager to say the photos are legit...

we've all seen the LeMans mercedes go end over end, so its not that much of a stretch to believe that a aston could fly some distance, especially since it looks like the edge of the turn drops off, which would turn a "slide" into flight...

either way, hitting the dirt sideways, he's lucky it didn't barrel roll.

He can probably thank that rear spoiler for keeping it level. It most likely acted as a canard to keep the car from pitching up and stalling, like the front wing on these aircraft:Rutan%20VariEze%20Prototype-1.jpg

Quote from Airventuremuseum.org website:

"A canard aircraft has its tail planes located ahead of its main wing, instead of behind. The tail planes of a normal aircraft typically produce a downward force, canceling some of the lift created by the main wings. A canard surface creates positive lift, adding to the aircraft’s overall lift. Careful design of the canard surfaces can make the canard stall first, before the main wing stalls. A canard stall will then lower the nose and increase airspeed before the main wing stalls, initiating an automatic stall recovery, without a spin. This is the reason that many canard aircraft (including Rutan’s canard designs) are considered “stall-proof.â€

I suppose if you've seen the actual race footage, it must have happened, but I can't help feeling like those photos are doctored. Something about the coloration and lighting of the car versus the background feels wrong to me. I guess if they are screen captures, that might account for some of this visual wierdness I'm experiencing....

That happened during practice for the recent ALMS race at Mid-Ohio. The footage was shown during the race to fill time while a yellow flag had slowed the field. They had the rear brake bias set to high, locked up the rears going into a corner, spun and ended up flying into one of the sand traps. The smoke seen in the pictures is from the rear tires.

It is real and the car went on to race last weekend and I believe came in 3rd behind the 2 Corvettes racing in the same class.

Workinprogress,

You're thinking of the Ferrari that was pushed off the track by the P1 class car. It was the same corner but the Ferrari didn't catch any air.

Wheelman