HybridZ

L28 custom intake flange

JustinOlson

I left the secondary set of injectors in for these pictures. I'm going to take them out for the final model that is getting sent out for quote. I think I have the injector ports correctly placed. I need to confirm with Ron and Paul the exact depth and dimensions of these ports. Anyway, figured it was about time for me to post an update. BTW, the fuel rail needs to be tweeked for the flange mounted injector spacing. It is setup for the injectors being centered on the port centerline. Little things here and there. I'm going to call my machinist today and see what he thinks. Hopefully I can get a run of 6 of the head flanges and plenum bases started next monday. It will probably take all of June for the machining because this guys slow, but the price is right.

Justin

12injectorspi4.jpg

12injectors2gb3.jpg

12injectors3tb1.jpg

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the first design, we are going to keep it simple. 95% of the L28's around aren't going to need or use 12 injectors. If people were commonly maxing out 1000cc injectors on their turbo setups I could see it, but thats not really happening as far as I can tell.

Justin, I agree that nobody is maxing out 1000cc injectors but the reason for staged injectors isn't necessarily about max capacity. Having the ability for two sets of injectors would allow the use of MUCH cheaper lower cc injectors to satisfy the max fuel requirement plus you could ensure a smooth idle by using only the first six smaller injectors. Once you starting using the BIG injectors, idle quality AFR suffers, especially if you are using a batch fire injection instead of sequential. With my batch fired six 550cc injectors at 1.7ms I get about a 14:5 idle AFR so there isn't much room to move if I go up to 680 or 720 or 750cc. Regardless, one of the reasons I like my EFI is I can pass DEQ emissions testing then go to the dyno without making a change. :-D.

I also understand that this still doesn't negate the extra cost and complexity of building a staged injection manifold.

Thanks for putting your time and effort into this project.

John,

I definitely agree with you that it is nice to be able to run 2 smaller injectors in place of one larger injector. Does your TEC3 allow you to run 12 injectors? I can work on modeling up the secondary set of injectors properly and see what kind of additional cost it would impose. For a big turbo car it would be very nice to cruise around on a set of 300cc primaries, and then have the 720cc secondaries come in under boost. Heck, I planned out a very cool setup that would have 1600cc secondaries for straight methanol. That would allow one to idle around on pump gas then have methanol come in under boost. 40psi on the streets :) :) :) I'd have to think a bit about how to turn on the second fuel pump at the right time so the whole system would work. Maybe a switch for the pump would also change to a different fuel and timing map for the methanol.

Best Regards,

Justin Olson

John,

I definitely agree with you that it is nice to be able to run 2 smaller injectors in place of one larger injector. Does your TEC3 allow you to run 12 injectors? I can work on modeling up the secondary set of injectors properly and see what kind of additional cost it would impose. For a big turbo car it would be very nice to cruise around on a set of 300cc primaries, and then have the 720cc secondaries come in under boost. Heck, I planned out a very cool setup that would have 1600cc secondaries for straight methanol. That would allow one to idle around on pump gas then have methanol come in under boost. 40psi on the streets :) :) :) I'd have to think a bit about how to turn on the second fuel pump at the right time so the whole system would work. Maybe a switch for the pump would also change to a different fuel and timing map for the methanol.

Best Regards,

Justin Olson

My Tec3 and the Wolf3D both have the ability to use staged injection. E85 would be an ideal application for staged injection. I don't know about 40psi though... :icon52:

Talk to a machinist just a little bit ago. He had a couple ideas to make it more manufacturable and cheaper. I'm going to draw up these changes and post the design. Price is coming in fairly reasonable IMO. The injector bungs will be machined into the cylinder head flange. I'm going to try and make the plenum base a bit thinner to get some cost out of it. Besides that all looks good.

Justin

Depending on the demand, I may sell these as complete pieces. I'm not sure yet. I have to talk it over with Ron and see what he thinks and wants to do with this. I definitely dont think I want to see this piece by piece. I may put together a complete "KIT" that is unwelded. Just have to price everything out and see where we are at.

Justin

HAve you priced alcohol resistant inj lately?

Hope you prevail with fab of the manifold, but dual inj probably overkill and adds complexity.

Don't sweat inj placement, since most are running RC inj with their narrow 10 deg wide pattern.

Now if I can just get an exh hdr and wastegate adapter.

What size fuel rail do people want with these? I was thinking -8 fuel rail extrusion would be big enough for most.

Ross Machining sells -6, -8 and -10 fuel rail extrusion (0.50", 0.69" and 0.80" inside diameter).

Regards,

Justin

id be interested in a "kit" of course price counts, i like what your doing, ill even take screwed up "seconds" cause i dont care if its not purty. dash 8 rail should be enough for most, but you could offer different sizes, prolly not all that difficult to do.

These pictures represent the changes that I've made to make these parts

cheaper to make and easier for the end user to assembly.

The plenum base is now made from a 1/2" thick aluminum stock instead of full 1". The cylinder head flange has been shortened slightly so that 3.5" x 1" aluminum stock could be used. I've also changed the slip fits on the runners. They now slip in 1/2" instead of the full 1" thickness. This was done so that the injector bungs wouldn't have to be machined after the runners were welded into the cylinder head flange. It may not be as strong as Rons original design, but I feel that it is a good compromise to make these easier to assembly.

Regards,

Justin

l28manifoldsingle5vz7.th.jpg

l28manifoldsingle6wk6.th.jpg

l28manifoldsinglenc6.th.jpg

l28manifoldsingle2ia8.th.jpg

l28manifoldsingle3ss2.th.jpg