HybridZ

Z31 Shaved Bumperettes

Does anyone know how they "shave off" the bumperettes on the back of the Z31? I have seen numerous pics today of them and it looks really nice.

I have not done this, but I can imagine that behind the bumperette is merely styrofoam. I bet they just cut it and then glass over the whole thing, primer it, paint it, and call it good. If you want to find out, go to the junkyard and do some cutting there :)

Davy

That is very cool. Nice work.

But if you just want to loose the bumperettes (the two black square protrutions in the main bumper) you could probably fit a bumper from an earlier Z31 that doesn't have them.

Disclaimer: I have neaver done this and I don't know if all the bolt holes would be in the same place.

Guest l28et

Its good to see the red headed step child getting some attention. I used to hate Z31s but since owning one, they have really grown on me.

Yeah, he's been working on that car for a while now. He fabbed his own coilover setup by sectioning the Z31 struts and welding on S13 adjustable coilovers. There's so much more on there than meets the eye. Those wheels are custom too. Took the centers out of 2 piece Wats and put them on wider rims. He's now in the process of rebuilding the motor and upgrading the turbo. That car makes me weak in the knees every time I look at it.

If you use an 84 - 86 bumper on an 87 - 89 you have no place for a license plate. Not that you can't get around that with bodywork or creative mounting, I'm thinking about it myself, but the work to add a plate box in the older bumper probably would be equal to shaving the boxes off the 87+ bumper to begin with.

If I were doing it tomorrow, I would get a scrap bumper, cut off the boxes, cut patches out of the spare and "weld" them in with bumper repair adhesive.

Jason