HybridZ

VG30E CAM comparison

Nismo280zEd

They'll swap but to my knowledge they are all the same, even the turbo ones. Over seas they had different options like the "Euro" cams, which were supposed to add roughly 10 hp on turbocharged VG's.

I'm pretty sure the ones in the US never really got any sort of cam change. I've never seen anyone post specs though so I'm not 100% sure.

Guest Jason84NA-T

They do interchange, but yes, they are in fact different. The truck and maxima cams are lower duration. The euro cams (not j-spec, only euro) had a 12 degree longer intake duration and 10 exhaust, with the same lift resulting in a 10HP gain on a stock engine, the early cars also came without a cat speculated to be yielding another ~16HP... hence the 226hp rating in europe. I've also heard the turbo specs are a little different on those cars, but that has not been proven. This cam information was pulled from various versions of FAST (for OE specs) and took a while to compile:

http://www.redz31.com/pages/caminfo.html

Guest Jason84NA-T
what about the villager/quest? are they the same as the Z31's?

I would assume all W-series VG's (4/87+) are the same.

Actually.. I bet the cams in the Villager/Quest VG30E changed. From what I can find the bore, stroke, and compression ratio are all the same however... it is non-interference. From what I hear, Ford basically told Nissan to make it non-interference for the van. This explains why the overall specs of the engine are the same except for power output:

151 hp @ 4,800 rpm

174 tq @ 4,400 rpm

MAF was completely different than our style, I was just wondering. Come to think about it one of the villagers that I had to work on broke the camshaft pulley pin and no damage was done to the valves or pistons. ran perfect once I fixed it though! I compared the heads once off and couldnt see any differences in combustion chamber or valve sizes.

The best supercharger would be a Lysholm or Whipple screw s/c (Whipple being the better of the two). The Whipples are very efficient and give nearly instant boost. The only downside to them is they can be very expensive. The Lysholm is the same type of s/c but isn't nearly as efficient as the Whipple. Their 1.2 liter units have an adiabatic efficiency difference of 17%.

My next supercharger pick would be an Eaton roots supercharger. An M90 would probably fit best with the 3.3. They are very inexpensive but at the same time are the most inefficient of the superchargers.

You can also use a centrifugal supercharger like a Vortech, Paxton, etc. They can be very efficient like a turbo however boost is linear so you don't reach peak boost till redline, which to me is a major downfall of the centrifugal supercharger.

So... basically if you can find one I would use a screws supercharger. If not, an Eaton M90 roots.

The overall most efficient setup would of course be a turbo due to having a high adiabatic efficiency and not having the parasitic losses an s/c has, but if you absolutely want to go with a supercharger I'd go by the above.

Guest Jason84NA-T
Actually.. I bet the cams in the Villager/Quest VG30E changed. From what I can find the bore' date=' stroke, and compression ratio are all the same however... it is non-interference. From what I hear, Ford basically told Nissan to make it non-interference for the van. This explains why the overall specs of the engine are the same except for power output:

151 hp @ 4,800 rpm

174 tq @ 4,400 rpm[/quote']

So are you saying you think they just decreased lift enough to get the valves to never contact the pistons? I guess that's one way to do it.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but the non-interference motor on a quest has slotted piston faces, so even if the piston all the way up and the valves are all the way down, they never make contact

I guess its a safety mechanism for all the soccer moms who are to busy to have their timing belt replaced