HybridZ

Thoughts on pulling the LT1/T56

Guys:

I'm looking for any tips regarding pulling the LT1/T56 as a whole unit. I've searched and saw the pic that 1tuffz had of evilc's camaro, but I don't think that I can get my firehawk up that high.

I was thinking of jacking up the back of the firehawk to give me a little bit of an angle edge, but it still looks crazy.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I have the normal tools to use - cherry picker, jackstands, etc.

Thanks! I'm ready to get started!

Bryan

Dat240zg

That was always a worry of mine too. But I have seen pictures where you just need to get the car at a nose up angle something like 45° to be able o slide the engine, tranny and cross member out the front. Go to Harbor Freight and get a $20 funiture dolly (good to 1000#), lower the engine/crossmember unit down on that then tilt the body up.

The other option is to get the eingine resting on the furniture dolly then sawsall the front clip off the vehicle.

I got mine out all by myself. Just Unbolt the Tranny Crossmember and the Front Kmember and Struts. And a few extra things and its ready to drop. I had the front of the car on jackstands and a jack under the Kmember and a Jack under the Trans. Lowered the front down enough for the wheels to touch the ground. Then Raised the body some more with a floor jack. Then Rolled the engine right out of there.

11-27-05%20001.jpg

Guest Texas_TA

yeah i just pulled my LT1 out of my TA for a rebuild recently wasnt ready to put it in the 280z, ill prolly get a LT1 off of ebay or something like that so i dont have to cannabilze the TA i love that car to much, if you werent so far away id come give ya a hand, it wouldnt take more than a day to get it out from under the car now that i have done it, its actually pretty easy.... need a cherry picker, 2 jacks and a few pryamid stands if you have any, few simple hand tools and its out pretty easily.... yeah you dont want to go out the top it takes so much more time and effort we thought about it but ditched that when i found out what all it involves, going out the bottom is deffinetly much easier

If the donor car is junk, just take a sawzall to the front clip. Otherwise, the bottom is the easiest. (REMEMBER: take either the clutch master, or the slave off before pulling the engine!!! don't ask me how I know!)

Tim

^^^^^^^

Those pics are very useful......as what NOT to do:D

Cinderblocks are very suspect for use as jack stands...they tend to fail with no warning at all.....

I second that....you are a very very brave man! How long were you working on the car like that?

I second that....you are a very very brave man! How long were you working on the car like that?

I'll third that, I've seen cinder blocks topple under that kind of weight. Wouldn't catch me under that car. Of course I do remember changing a tranny in school using a shoppping cart basket for a jack stand!