HybridZ

Ls1 Part #2

1998 Trans Am with 18k!!!!!!

Pull this one down in 2 nights because I had a lot of practice with the Camaro and 1tuffz made me work n learn the first time! Nothing wrong with that cause I got it done almost alone this time. EVERYTHING off this car is for sale! I was thinking about keeping the motor/tranny for another LS1 swap into a 260z but I think one car will be fine. So here are some pics of the tear down.....

DSC01386_thumb.JPG

DSC01383_thumb.JPG

DSC01382_thumb.JPG

Clive:

Did you chop the rails on this one to get the motor and tranny? My Firehawk is stripped down and pretty much ready to pull the motor and tranny and I'm still debating which method to use: Chope the rails w/a sawzall or unbolt the k member and crossmember and jack the body up and over.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

Dat240zg

I would have helped you to strip the car but I had to bring my cat to the vet....go ahead laugh. You did a fine job by yourself. :wink: Now let's get your LS1 240Z done!!!

Yeah can't believe you didn't want to help me and used your cat to get out of it, some friend! Yeah it wasn't to bad though...and my Z will be on the road as soon as I am done with ALL MY WORK!! LoL

Clive:

Did you chop the rails on this one to get the motor and tranny? My Firehawk is stripped down and pretty much ready to pull the motor and tranny and I'm still debating which method to use: Chope the rails w/a sawzall or unbolt the k member and crossmember and jack the body up and over.

Any thoughts?

Bryan

Dat240zg

Bryan I would just drop the k member and crossmember the easiest way. Make sure all your lines are disconnecte; undo the k member n crossmember then pull the struts and your done. Should just "fall right out". Have fun.

Clive

Cleaning the motor up today and found a crack in the block right by the pasn side engine mount. The intake I knew would have to be changed....so now what do I do with the motor? Part the motor out? 18k is still young miles for the motor. I do not want to junk it.

Well atleast I can still sell the T56......

you can sleeve the block... that gets kinda expensive though

find another 98 block with a spun bearing and put your rotating assembly in it

Well do to the fact I do not need the motor, I guess anyone here wanna rebuild it? I'll make you a good price. Maybe cygnusx1 could use it in his car and get rid of that old dog he has! :-)

If you took a pic of the crack we might be able to tell you if its salvagable....

Guy

Yeah I will do that tomorrow if it does not rain. Thanks, hope I can do something with it.....if not it will become my donor to learn how to tear down and put back together....lol

The crack on the block is easy to repair wit a TIG if its not all the way through...remember the case study with the propeler blade that had a crack...solution was to drill out the crack and add material.

The bolt..mmm...is a lil harder...my opinion (not knowing the amount of stress occurring at that hole) would be to:

1. Heat up the hole to realign

2. TIG weld the crack

3. Reheat the crack area (for added strength)

4. Resurface the inside of the hole and resleeve with a threaded insert.

how much this would cost..i dunno...just the idea me and the engineers came up with at work...

Any machinist in wanna partake in this discussion?