Nissan bringing back the Datsun name!

Guest l28et

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest beebo

dont mean to be resurecting an dead thread if i am but i have a little experience with maya 3d. if someone wants to draw up some sketches of they ideas i might be able to work something up. just draw side/front/top/and rear. heres what a got an a 510 before i got bored with it:sour: pic.php?u=9994mhYL8&i=833774

i know this has nothing to do with it but i made it during th nba finals :-D

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=9994mhYL8&i=891686

This makes no sense to me, and I actually feel kind of offended for some reason. Also, it's a good idea to read the FAQs and then to introduce yourself in the newbies section for your first post.

That being said, the nickeldime looks pretty cool.

I would have loved to see the ressurected "Z" looking like this...

RobertZsm.JPG

RobertZFront.JPG

With a RB24DETT under the hood. (An engine of my imagination)

At first I hated everything about the 350Z, but the styling has grown on me a bit since then. I guess

I hated it at first because I was hoping for something a little more 240Z-ish. But, I still hate the door

handles and the marker lights, but most of all I hate the v-6. An RB-series engine would have been a

far better choice, but I guess there's not enough room in that stubby nose for an I-6.

I really don't think much of those drawings. I prefer the 350z design to that for the reason that it ISN'T just a throwback design, it's a progression of everything that has come before it. Nissan retained the design cues that make it resemble a z, without just taking the chrome bumpers off of a 240z and using HID's instead of sealed beam headlights. Based on the lineage of the car, the 350z SHOULD look like a next generation 300zx, because that's what it is. In the context of this datsun thread, I think there is a place in the lineup for something like freshalloy's neo 510, the cube could work there, and it would be great to get even something like a qr25de powered car that would fill the role of the z, so long as it's rear wheel drive. Will they do it? I'd say that if they didn't jump right in after toyota did it, they probably won't.

Guest beebo

nissan still has more goody to squeeze out of the 350z. im sure once it gets old and boring they might bring out something new. theres also the skyline that is supposed to be over here sometime around 07/08 (vq35dett?) not sure b/c im not interested. i heard it was like 70k. anyways they wouldnt want to add another performance sportscar to the lineup if people are still buying the 350z. if anything it would be put out as an economy car just like a decade ago. 240sx:300zx :: 240z:350z. and economy would equal 4 cyl. which would be a huge dissapointment. thats just my take on it.

Actaully, almost any four cylinder in Nissan's current lineup produces as much power as the L24 used to, and the QR25de would be a great motor in RWD form for either a 510 restyle or a 240z update. 180hp, 175ft/lbs, It's a very smooth and peppy engine, even in my 02 Altima which is a very heavy sedan. I wouldn't be so fast to discount an engine just based on cylinder count.

Guest beebo

by all means i am not infering that 4cyl are no good. i owned a 90 240sx coupe and loved it. especially when i got to ride in an sr swapped 92. that thing was a blast. but, if a retro z were to be produced i would think that it should be left I6 as that is what they originally came with. just a matter of preference. i am not here to argue what engine nissan will put into a car that isnt even in existance(yet?). L4, v12, rotary... seing a retro z on the road will be nothing but sexy.

Do we have any artists here that could draw a retro-modern 240Z? I know there were alot of sketches around just before the 350Z came out.

Actually there is an artist here on the forum who does quite well with computer graphics. I found this a year or maybe 2 years ago http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=140699&page=1&pp=15

I forget his name, but he has a picture of that Z he did on the graphics program in his signture here.

http://www.2brosdsign.com/photoholder/david/510.jpg

hound this desigh for the retro 510. i like it alot better than the "Neo-510" that ive seensomewhere else.

that picture was also part of the "neo-510" project over on freshalloy.com. Somebody besides the main designer on the thread posted it because they didn't like the way the project was going if I recall. The concensus was that it didn't look anything like a 510, which is about how I feel about it.

I wouldn't want them to bring back the "Datsun" name. Having it be a discontinued brand name gives it a certain exoticness that I appreciate. Besides, at the least, I wouldn't want the name associated with a hip-hoppy, youth gen-whatever market.

I doubt the Japanese companies are cool enough to bring out a retro-design like the American companies are doing. They're all about looking forward, not back, it seems.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with targeting that batch of cars is that they are all roadsters...is your concept supposed to be a hardtop convertible? I don't think you could do it for that price. I'm not familiar with that particular RB engine, is it currently in production? I suggested a QR25de because it was currently in the lineup, and is a solid motor, but if this RB24 is legit, that's probably the way to go.