HybridZ

This was possible....?

EvilC

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-new-1966-datsun-shell-YES-IT-IS-NEW-OLD-STOCK_W0QQitemZ4651574320QQihZ002QQcategoryZ101895QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ad claims that the shell is NOS!?!? I am an 80's baby so this is news to me. It would be great if you can walk into a Nissan Dealership and order a OEM 240z shell......only if it were that easy then no one would have to repair rust.

Clive

The ocean has salt air in cali too. Just need to live little closer to the beach.

About 2 years ago Auxilary and I bought an autocross 240Z from a guy in Daly City, the fog capital of the world. Where the dew and salt water came in the cracks, it had eaten holes straight through the car, as if some poured hydrochloric acid in the seams and down it went! My gosh, a good car completely ruined just because of some salt water... :sour:

Davy

I've worked at an acura dealership, and currently work at a Saturn dealership, both times in parts. It is currently NOT possible to buy a complete shell, and even if it were, it would most certainly not come with any doors, hatches, hardware, etc. like that auction has. Floor pans are seperate, fenders inner and outer are seperate, everything comes apart,even the roof, that way you can repair crash damage without totaling the vehicle for minor things. I think somebody played a joke on this guy, and he didn't know any better. The only program I've heard of that allows you to buy a unibody in it's entirety is the bodies in white program that Ford has(where you can buy untitled blem cars off the production line that have paint that is too thick or thin or whatever strictly for racing purposes). You can't even buy complete seat assemblies in most cases. It would cost you into the multiple thousands of dollars to put together two leather front seats for an acura integra just buy buying the parts over the counter.

The car that I have seen you can buy a rebody for is the 69 Camaro, which is my favorite year of the camaro and it has a healthy price ticket along with it. They may have sold some incompleted cars when they stopped making the cars like they did with the old AC cobras (4 almost rolling chassis that I know of) and many others. But here is the link to the 69 Camaro for people that are interested also if you find a totaled out 69 collectors Camaro this would be a way to get it back on the road. http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast.asp?enl=1&enlSEC=3&enlURL=/Articles/tech3.asp?AID=72&WH=525

I've seen one of those yearone re-body's in person, and it was pretty amazing. But that is an aftermarket body for a car that has a real demand that outstrips the supply (the one I saw was covertible). Also that program only started up like 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure they are going to start doing first gen mustangs too, and possibly some of the mopar cars, but I'm not 100%. I'm thinking mazda has a similar program to the bodies in white for the spec miata racing series. I would believe that they would sell the last few unbuilt bodies of the cobra, but I have a hard time thinking that they wouldn't just either finish the last 510 wagon, or scrap it if that's indeed what this car is.