HybridZ

Installed Cosmo racing coil overs, road test!

Hey gang (Same post on zcar.com, but wanted to share this with Hybrid as well)

It's been along time since I posted anything on here. I felt this was post-worthy though. There's seems to be a lot of doubt in recent posts about these. I didn't want to have to section my struts, so after seeing the Cosmo racing and heavy duty coil overs I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a 76 280Z coupe with a nicely modified engine, Cam, Header, Mega Squirt etc... KYB non-adjustable struts, urithane bushings, no rear sway bar, 205/50/15 sticky BF Goods. I'm a veteran of 20+ track days and numerous AX's having used almost every lowering spring and strut combo out there.

I installed the rear ones tonight, set to stock ride height and drove the car. It's raining here in the Northeast so I couldn't really put it to the test, however I have to say I was pretty impressed so far. I purchased the heavy duty ones, not the racing. I believe they state 400 LBS (source of debate on this forum) but I think it's because they are so short. the car was noticably stiffer, but not harsh. Body roll was significantly reduced and the car handled quite well. So far, functionally they work. I hit several decent size pot holes and did not get any bone jarring!

I'll get back to you when I've driven it on dry pavement and pushed some corners with it.

Stay cool

C

God Bless America!!!

Pray for our Soldiers who keep us Free.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, I am looking at these coilovers and was just wondering if you had any more experiences with them to share. I am thinking of bidding on the 'racing' coilovers. Do you have any pics of them installed. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racing-Dual-Coil-over-Coilovers-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-70-78_W0QQitemZ330002182790QQihZ014QQcategoryZ33586QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am sure the modern motorsports coilovers are better in every way, but the fact is I need springs now, and these are the right price. If worse comes to worst I can always order springs from him or from jegs later and ditch the dual spring setup.

High quality springs are ~$45 or $50 from pretty much any race shop. What you need are the coilover pieces. I'd get them from somewhere else, maybe Coleman Racing or one of the circle track parts suppliers if you don't want to pay Ground

Control or MM prices.

I got my QA1 springs from Summit for $37 each. Just get everything except the coils if you can and get some better, lower rate coils. I am running 225f/250r and it is as stiff as I would want it for the street. I think those insane coil rates would explode your struts in a couple thousand miles if not less.

From what I have read, it doesnt seem that those springs are as stiff as they appear on paper because of the dual spring setup. At least, I think the guys who have tried them would have immediately noticed a true 400lb/in spring, as that seems like it would be unsprung at all for all intents and purposes. I am gonna try them mostly because there a good deal for the price and I am curious. If the spring rates truly are rediculous I will get new springs.

• 1 month later...

I got a response from a guy over at cosmoracing.com named Paul. He states that:

Spring rate is 6kg for all around (6kg/mm = 335lbs/in) Heavy Duty.

The 335lbs setup it is designed especially for the lightweight car as 240Z. However, we do also provide heavier rate setup as Spring rate is 8kg for all around (8kg/mm = 448lbs/in) Racing spec depends on your need.

This is is for the single spring setup. I'm going to place an order for them to raise my car slightly for some rally tires. Not the 7M silver car, I have another `72 with a non clear title that is a great car for off road driving.

• 3 years later...