HybridZ

Fuel smell - stainless braided lines

I have Stainless braided lines for the feed and return and the garage has a gas smell. I checked all of the fittings and they are all tight and no leaks. The vent does not seem to be the source, I have even blocked it and the smell has continued. The braided fuel lines smell like gas, the whole length. I have heard from a couple of friends that they had similar experiences after their lines were a few years old. These are about 1 year old.

Any one else notice this?

I was considering going to aluminum lines. Thoughts?

I have to get the smell resolved, the Wife is not happy... and you know the saying... when Momma's not happy.... no one's happy!

I have to get the smell resolved, the Wife is not happy... and you know the saying... when Momma's not happy.... no one's happy!

I know what you're saying. 11 years ago, wife pregnant, my Z had to find a new temporary home due to the "Gas Smell" Usually the complaint came middle of the night, in the bedroom, upstairs far from the garage. Months later, finally found a small seepage by the pump, not enough to drip. How she could smell that through a garage wall, across the house is beyond me. When they drive the family car they can't smell the emergency brake, clutch, or tranny burning, but one molecule of hydrocarbon from the Z and look out! Good luck, in the meantime you might hang those little pine tree thingies all over the garage.

OK I bit the bullet and measured all of my fuel lines, supply, return, pump to filter line and regulator to fuel rail line.... then I went to the local Parker fitting supplier (Colliflower) and had them make up teflon lined braided lines with their steel AN fittings for the car. I replaced all of the lines tonight and finally NO SMELL!!! It cost $250 for the lines, but it was well worth it.

There is no question that the Russell lines somehow let the fuel smell come right through. All along the lines you can smell gas, but they were dry.

I also put cats on the exhaust this week... my car finally smells good :-)

Jody

• 2 weeks later...

my car smells like gas also and my wife is alwas giving a s@#t over it they must be all cut out of the same cloth{ the wifes not the cars} any way I think my problem Is the fact that my fuel lines run right by my pipes so it seems like when its hot out when I shut it off you can here the gas like boiling over in the carb . But I also have braided lines but its riubber then has the stainless sheth over it I dont see any leaks does anyone have this problem?

That line you have sounds like the same line that I was having problems with. The heat may be making matters worse. The Parker teflon line is good to over 400 degrees and I can tell you it does not smell. Find a local supplier, you will be happy.

By the way, you can hit "preview post" or edit your original posts :-)

Jody

I have Stainless braided lines for the feed and return and the garage has a gas smell. I checked all of the fittings and they are all tight and no leaks. The vent does not seem to be the source' date=' I have even blocked it and the smell has continued. The braided fuel lines smell like gas, the whole length. I have heard from a couple of friends that they had similar experiences after their lines were a few years old. These are about 1 year old.

Any one else notice this?

I was considering going to aluminum lines. Thoughts?

I have to get the smell resolved, the Wife is not happy... and you know the saying... when Momma's not happy.... no one's happy![/quote']

Mine smells like fuel all the time. I discovered a leak high in the tank by accident. I refueled on an incline (nose down) and a galon of fuel ran out on the concrete.

Here is my .02 on braided lines. They look cool, but you can't see the condition of the liner. On racers they are frequently changed, on street cars they are not. A braided line can be dangerous just because you can't tell if or where it's leaking until it's too late. Think abaout this...they look so cool, if they were really reliable in a street high performance car, you sould see them on Vetts. or Euro rockets. Just my perspective.

Here is my .02 on braided lines. They look cool, but you can't see the condition of the liner. On racers they are frequently changed, on street cars they are not. A braided line can be dangerous just because you can't tell if or where it's leaking until it's too late. Think abaout this...they look so cool, if they were really reliable in a street high performance car, you sould see them on Vetts. or Euro rockets. Just my perspective.

braided lines arent for "looks" unless your talking about that stuff they sell at autoparts stores in the dress up section. Im building my car to drag race and NHRA says I cant have more that 12" of rubber fuel line on the whole car. So my options are a braided type hose or hard line. I cant run 100% hardline so I have no choice but to use braided. Also my 240Z had some black braided hose on it from the factory (Im guessing) on the heater hoses and a few others places and they proved to be pretty reliable.

OK I bit the bullet and measured all of my fuel lines' date=' supply, return, pump to filter line and regulator to fuel rail line.... then I went to the local Parker fitting supplier (Colliflower) and had them make up teflon lined braided lines with their steel AN fittings for the car. I replaced all of the lines tonight and finally NO SMELL!!! It cost $250 for the lines, but it was well worth it.

There is no question that the Russell lines somehow let the fuel smell come right through. All along the lines you can smell gas, but they were dry.

I also put cats on the exhaust this week... my car finally smells good :-)

Jody[/quote']

Jody,

I am having the same problem with my Z. If I drive it and park it in the garage, by the next morning the entire garage smells like gas real bad. If the car sits for several weeks without being started, the smell eventually goes away. Then if I just start it and turn it off without driving it, it smells again.

We have been trying to figure out the problem for a while now. Thanks for the troubleshooting.

My wife has been complaining for Months.

Can you get me in touch with the guy that made your lines for you?

When are you going up to Mason -Dixon? I want to run my Z again.

Thanks!

Colliflower Inc

14650 Rothgeb Dr # O

Rockville, MD

Phone: (301) 315-2600

It's off Gude Drive, near Southlawn. There are quite a few Colliflower shops in the metro area, look them up you may find one closer to you. They only make the lines to what YOU tell him, so measure carefully.

I am hoping to go to Mason Dixon this Friday night. They have their Friday night street race program twice a month. We'll have to see how the weather holds out and the 100+ temps. http://www.masondixondragway.com/2006%20July.htm

Jody

Very useful thread as I dont drive mine except to and from the track because of the lingering fuel smell when I park it in the garage ... underneath the bedrooms. Same problem as the rest of you except mine seems to be seeping through the non-braided lines. Anyway I'm now wondering if I replace the lines (again) but this time with some that are fuel vapor proof how to keep the vent line from smelling? Currently the tank is sealed (previous owner set-up) so on hot days it actually builds pressure .... enough to blow the cap off as your unscrew it ... and if the tank is full some fuel as well. Anyway, I bought a roll-over valve so I could open one of the vapor lines and let the tank breath (stock 240z gas and vapor tanks) but I'm thinking if I do that it will smell of gas from the open vent. I dont see anyway around it short of installing some sort of charcoal canister. How are any of you dealing with tank venting and not having fuel smell from it?

Thanks

Cameron

I only changed the fuel supply and return lines, leaving the vent alone except I cut the vent line short and it terminates under the car. It has not caused me any issues. The tank will still retain some pressure.

Jody