HybridZ

FINNNNALLYT got an engine for my dumb car.

nope

so i went and bought an SR last weekend. damn it felt like christmas.

sr20det_02.jpg

sr20det_05.jpg

sr20det_06.jpg

sr20det_07.jpg

Sorry guys at Vildini, i would have gotten my SR from you guys but i got a really good deal on the motor set with an s15 ball bearing t28. Plus this shop is like 15 minutes from my house. Im pretty sure ill get a hood from you guys this summer though. Glad to finally be an owner of an engine, and maybe i will in fact get to drive my damn car some day.

yea since i just graduated from ucsd they took my webspace away and this other free webhosting thing i have totally sucks.. take a look at my website and you'll see. ill figure something out soon as far as posting good links, but i want to go play with my SR before it gets dark ahah. 4 day weekend coming up so there will be some progress to come.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks BillZ260, glad you liked it. actually i havent updated that site in a long time.

just started my picasa album

cleaned everything for like a million hours and painted with black hi temp ceramic engine paint.

sr20det_09.jpg

sr20det_14.jpg

sr20det_18.jpg

sr20det_29.jpg

sr20det_30.jpg

enjoy.

ill be replacing the head gasket soon and bolting on new intake and exhaust manifolds after that. still have to clean up the damn transmission though :/

-stripped it and covered up all intake/exhaust/oil/water ports and seals.

-used an angle grinder with different wire wheel attachments for several sessions (the cup type wheel seemed to work best for most of the area).

-used foamy engine brite and engine brite gel about 4 times each, using toothbrushes and detail wire brushes as well.

-wiped it down with acetone about 3 times and shot compressed air at it.

-stuffed paper towel plugs in threaded holes and masked everything i didnt want painted, razor blades helped.

-used duplicolor 1200deg "black" engine paint, 2 light coats with one can, 1 thicker top coat with other can.

Probably doing head gasket and bolting on the new exhaust manifold tonite. Im ordering new valve cover gaskets as well so i'll change those when i get them. For the cover itself.. i want to have it repainted a slightly richer red (sr240z's is really nice), but i think i'll hold off till i have a batch of things thats need paint/powdercoating. Glad you guys are liking it, i had several people telling me i should leave it polished instead of painting it black.

I've got a comment for you and it's just a FYI. The SR20DET engine is completely aluminum so painting the block and head will act as an insulator keeping IN THE HEAT. Take a look at any aluminum engine, I don't think I've seen one soul paint it for this very reason. If I were you, I would remove the paint. Anyone else agree or disagree?