HybridZ

l28 forged pistons

Guest dan4011

Guest dan4011

hey, alright, i built a 76 280z na turbo, come to find out after everything was put to gether a couple of the rings are bad and the engine smokes, so we are rebuilding the block, i figured id put forged pistons in there to not worry about running too much boost, i cant seem find a place that sells the stock 280zxt pistons, only place i found was msa and i dont have the money to blow. anyone know of anything.

forged pistons for an L28 are expensive no matter where you get them. Just keep the stock compression ratio (7.4:1) and you should be able to run enough boost to get you in the 300 wheel HP range with out forged pistons. Spend the money you would have spent on the pistons on a great IC and Aftermarket FI computer (like meggasquirt or halteck). Just my two cents.

:burnout:

is there anybody putting down more than 300whp on stock internals? i'd like to know cause on my future l28 turbo build i was planning on doing forged pistons from arizona z car.

dan4011, hows the 76 NA block with the turbo? can you tell a difference from an 81-83 in tuning?

Guest dan4011

i dont think it would be too hard to make 300whp with stock l28 internals, i was planning on making ~300whp with t3/t4 turbo at 10 pounds, stock 76 l28 block, ported and polished n47 head, ported n42 intake, and full 3 in exhaust. but now i found a 83 zxt that im going to use the block and tranny from and run about 15 lbs of boost.

I'm running 14 psi on 93 pump gas with my freshened stock bottom end. Running low 12's in the quarter, so I think that it is more than 300 hp. Stay conservative on your tune, and 300 should be no problem on the stock pistons. If you can find stock turbo pistons, it would probably be a better choice than the NA pistons you have, even used takeouts would be better.

Doug

Guest dan4011

another question, while im putting the zxt block and tranny in whats a good clutch to get that could handle all the power, im not planning on having much more than 300hp but im sure over time ill do more work to it. i havent really found too much info on what clutches are any good, ive only heard alot of mixed stories, you guys dont think a stock 83 zxt clutch wil hold up do you?

thanks guys

i dont think it would be too hard to make 300whp with stock l28 internals, i was planning on making ~300whp with t3/t4 turbo at 10 pounds, stock 76 l28 block, ported and polished n47 head, ported n42 intake, and full 3 in exhaust. but now i found a 83 zxt that im going to use the block and tranny from and run about 15 lbs of boost.

thats about the same setup i'm planing but i was going to buy a p-90 and run about 12 pounds.

from just reading on the forums it sounds like centerforce clutches are hit or miss so you can take your chances if you like.

Guest dan4011

ive heard the n42 and n47 heads make the most power because they make alot higher compression. (n42 being the better) a guy i know who provided alot of the parts for my turbo swap has a highly upgraded 83 zxt and he switched from the p90 to the n42 and seid it was day and night.

as far as the clutch i dont think i want to take the chance of blowing 300 on something im not sure will work, i think im going to get one of the act street clutches, ive heard good things about them.

ive heard the n42 and n47 heads make the most power because they make alot higher compression. (n42 being the better) a guy i know who provided alot of the parts for my turbo swap has a highly upgraded 83 zxt and he switched from the p90 to the n42 and seid it was day and night.

as far as the clutch i dont think i want to take the chance of blowing 300 on something im not sure will work' date=' i think im going to get one of the act street clutches, ive heard good things about them.[/quote']

hm i had no idea, i'm not sure which head comes on a 76 though? i'm just going to use the block from a 280z parts car i'll be picking up here pretty soon.

i've heard good things about them and exedy, a guy in the local car club (Evildky) caught his nismo clutch on fire:flamedevi

• 2 years later...

ok my two cents...

flat top pistons

p-90 head, try to get it port and palished get shaved a little. not too much

build it like a n/a. the key is flow. build the flow and the power will come

spray nitous into the intercooler

put heat rap on everything. control the heat and help prevent detonation which is bad. if you can get e-85 that would be best.

with a good tune it will be fun. go ems:burnout:

• 1 month later...

if one were to buy a rebuilt engine from the picknpull, without being able to talk to thc rebuilder, how would one (not me, a friend of mine...) identify a forged set of pistons from not? 300whp is my target, so this thread caught my eye. I've been planning on purchasing forgcd if mine turned out not to be, but if I can move ahead on my project with what I have than super.... but, how do I know what I have?

Val

if one were to buy a rebuilt engine from the picknpull, without being able to talk to thc rebuilder, how would one (not me, a friend of mine...) identify a forged set of pistons from not? 300whp is my target, so this thread caught my eye. I've been planning on purchasing forgcd if mine turned out not to be, but if I can move ahead on my project with what I have than super.... but, how do I know what I have?

Val

Search for pics of the stock pistons. IIRC, they have a number punched on them or something. I have an F54 block; I will look. Aftermarket forged slugs will probably NOT have been in the car for umpteen thousand miles. You could probably wipe on them with a rag sprayed with brake parts cleaner and they'll come clean and shiny.

:-) That's what I was thinking. Still a valid question; what is the max power stock pistons will take before failure assuming no detonation?... Maybe I will have to find out myself. :mrgreen:

Like stated, Bernard, Big Phil, KTM, JeffP... Of the bunch, I think JeffP was making 460 or 470HP on a stock bottom end. He had the ported and cammed head, but the block and pistons were stockers.

Detonation happened, test ended. On that one, head gasket let go. It was on a trip to my house that the rings got sunk...:cool:

they all have the number 7 cut into them, and they all look brand new. I'll upload pics if i can.

If they look brand new, they should be very shiny; like a 'polished' aluminum rim. If they are stock, not so. If they have a stamp in them, then they are probably stockers. I don't know of many aftermarket pistons that have stamps on them.