HybridZ

airzona z car big piston struts?

i just got them last friday. he got in a new shipment last week. really cool. it has the collor at the bottom to adjust the ride height of the car while on the car. i do not know if the older ones had that. the shocks are supposed to be fairly stiff. i think i am trying 200# +/- for the springs. i am trying to get the camber plates welded in in the next week or so.:mrgreen: as soon as i can i will post some pics of them on the car.

The big piston is one feature I always liked on Bilstein struts. It would be interesting to have someone like katman or johnc look at a shock dyno graph and tell the rest of us laypeople what spring rates they would be good for. Really doesn't look like there is a lot of travel available, not that that matters to most people who would buy these...

Yeah, but the piston is twice as big. Unless the threaded section is aluminum I don't see weight savings being a real factor.

They look like an inverted design, meaning the large shaft is really the shock body like the bilsteins. My guess is the piston is the same size.

Cary

They look like an inverted design, meaning the large shaft is really the shock body like the bilsteins. My guess is the piston is the same size.

I never fully understood how that worked. All I know is it is supposed to be more rigid, and I loved the bilsteins I had on my other vehicles, although that probably had more to do with valving than the pistons.

Theoretically if more of the weight was up top than the sprung weight would be increased, and the unsprung weight would be reduced.

I paid for a set early this week and im supposed to get them next friday. Damn i cant wait to get them.. and my engine isnt even in yet.

As far as how these work, the inverted strut (basically just upside down so that the beefier part is exposed) is sick especially since we all have mcpherson and chapman strut configurations, in both front and rear, which are kinda vulnerable to bending moments. With the shocks we have, the shaft is the weakest link because its inertial properties are low and its not being supported by anything when in bending (partly why modern suspensions are multi link). As far as sprung vs unsprung weight goes, the unsprung weight is slightly lower when inverted.

1600$ is definitely a grip, but well worth it. I've been waiting for an inverted strut option for my 240 for a while. To think i was JUST about to buy a regular coilover setup just before these came up. I guess in this case its a good thing im a lagger.

i just looked at mine and they are 180# & 225?# for the springs. 3fiddyz has a set of the first runs and started at around the 250# range and went down from there. if they are to soft, i will just take 5 min and drive over and get another set.

jim

im running the big piston coilover setup and camber plates from arizona zcar with 250# springs all around. I daily drive the car and its great i love the way it rides and i also go to streets of willow for track days as well. (this is on the white z in my sig)

John' date=' what spring rates did you end up going with? Also, any word on what brand damper those are? Bilstein?

Justin[/quote']

180# all around, my car is too light for anything more. was thinking about getting some stiffer ones later on, but i doubt im going to need them. Not sure on the damper brand though. Ill call Dave and ask him on monday or something.

• 4 weeks later...
uh damn these are sooo nice. azc charged me an arm and like 12 legs but you cant get any better for an s30. just some pics for enjoyment, and just a little bit of gloating.

Yeah, I'd do the same as you: keep those in my bed and sleep with them too. Sure are purdy.

Davy