HybridZ

Best of 3 350Z swaps

Guest JuggernautPunch

Guest JuggernautPunch

VG30DETT

RB26DETT

2JZGTTE

Ive read of the Skyline engine and the Supra engine swap into the 350Z but actually have only SEEN the RB26DETT swap. I wanted an engine that would compete with the Skyline and Supra so i thought about the VG30DETT and wondered what about this swap. Would it fit in there pretty good without all the fabrication needed for the RB swap and would it be cheaper to put it in there? I know its gonna be easier to find parts and ive heard that the VG can get up to 1200HP + and thats one of the reasons i was looking at this swap and was hoping it would be more practical then the RB and the 2J.

Guest JuggernautPunch

oh yeah totally. its just that ive been reading alot (and i do mean alot) about the integrity of the 350Z engine. alot people write on how it cant handle near the max amount of PSI as the other motors and that its really not a good candidate for Turbocharging or NA for that matter. Somone said it could only handle 10PSI and someoneelse said that when turbocharged with the same PSI for the same power as the VG the RB and the 2J that it wont last me as long as the other motors . Im really looking to swap im just trying to figure out which of the three motors would be cheaper and easier to do it with.

Oh yeah and and that it would take alot more money to get power out of the 350Z then it would the VG.

the VQ engines are used in the JGTC cars and can make upwards of 1200 WHP. The VQ35 factory bottom ends are stout and can produce 500whp reliably. There is one person locally with a 350Z producing 500-600whp with an auto behind it. BobaFettm is his screen name on another board that I am on.

Guest JuggernautPunch
To start, how much power are you wanting to make and what will be the purpose? Street, strip, track, mix, etc?

well i already have a daliy driver so this will definetly be for the strip (nothinelse to do around here). And i want oodles of turbocharged power and i definetly want the ability (in the long run) to reached the 4 digit HP power numbers.

oh also i was origanaly planning to get a 240SX and do the RB25DETT swap but then i started checking out possible 350Z swaps and it also looks 10x better.

What kind of limitations are there for the strip in your area? Basically, any certain class you want to race in?

Reason I ask is, why don't you go with the Nissan VH45DE or Toyota 1UZ-FE? Both are lighter than the engines above, have quite a bit more displacement, and are absolutely strong as hell stock. I know for sure the VH45DE will put out 600 hp without a problem on the stock bottom end. For short bursts like on the strip, it would probably handle even more without having to do any bottom end work.

With internal mods the sky would be the limit. 4 digits would be nothing for it, but on top of the 4 digits you'd have a hell of lot more torque and less weight to boot.

Since it'd be a strip only car I take it you'd probably use an auto tranny. The stock auto tranny is the same used with the auto 300ZX Twin Turbo and can definitely be built it up for whatever power you throw at it. If you used the Toyota engine there are some Australian companies that make bellhousings to mate trannies like the Ford C4 onto it and such.

Both of those engines can be bought for less than the above listed engines as well. The aftermarket isn't as good, but custom stuff can still be done quite easily.

If you can't or don't want to use either of those, I'd probably go with the VG (I'm a bit biased towards Nissan :lol: ). I know the 2JZ is definitely a good engine, but I don't know much about how it makes its power.

The VG30DETT is of course, very strong. The beauty of it compared to the RB is its ability to create and incredible amount of torque. Of dyno's I've seen of a nearly equally modded VG and RB, the VG made only 10 hp less than the RB however made over 300 lb. ft. of torque more than the RB. The VG would definitely be a better drag race engine due to that.

Now, the next thing would depend on the money you want to spend on everything. If you've got a decent amount of money to put into the project, I'd actually go with the VQ35. Stock, yes they are weak... but modified they are incredibly strong. Going for the numbers you're wanting, none of the options you listed would be stock anyways so its just another option you can add to the list.

Oh yeah... VQ35 :D

http://www.theexperience.com/recordrun.htm

Good luck with whichever route you take though and definitely keep us updated on the progress!

Guest JuggernautPunch

yeah i jes checked up on the VH45DE and they say 800Hp+ is what i can expect from that. BUT the 1UZ-FE...wow...thats friggin crazy ive never heard of this one but it seems that HKS has a 1479hp 1UZ-FE and then someone posted that several australian guys are running 900-1000rwhp on stock internals with it so yeah i might have to check this one out.Eventually i MIGHT jes end up going with the VG but im definetly gonna do some studying on the 1UZ and see about it. and your right to it only costs about half of what the VG does. im going to go read up on some swap info on this and the next time i post ill be in phase one of my project. thnks for the help

I think the VH45 is actually even stronger than the 1UZ. Larger internals and such for even more power handling. There's actually a guy in NZ I believe running about 1,000 hp out of a VH on stock internals (used a factory rebuild) and put the thing on a boat. Its just incredible.

http://www.dynologic.com.au/vids/Nizpro-Speedboat-low.wmv

I think the big reason why the 1UZ started getting more well known than the VH is because of companies like HKS and I believe Turbonetics built cars using them.

Either way though, they're both incredible engines. I'm using a VH45 in a 300ZX myself. Its going to be an absolute blast

Yeah, he said above it'll be a drag strip car. He already has a daily driver so just wants gobs of power for the strip.

Reliability is another reason for the VH45 and 1UZ. With the extra displacement and gobs of strenght, they'll be more reliable than the others at the power output he wants to make.

Guest JuggernautPunch

Either way though' date=' they're both incredible engines. I'm using a VH45 in a 300ZX myself. Its going to be an absolute blast[/quote']

Really? how did that swap go?expensive?

A 1200hp anything in a 350Z is not just "a swap" and if the concern is which swap & engine can be done cheapeast then I suggest you first understand what a 1200hp 350Z really is. Assuming 3300# with driver, you are talking about a car capable of 8.0s at 165+mph in the 1/4-mile. Continue to believe the stories about stock internals if you want but even if it is possible, trust me, the cost of the engine is just a part of what it will cost to put together a chassis capable of handling that kind of power. We are not talking about a street car or even a weekend cruiser unless that means driving it 6 blocks to the Steak-n-Shake.

Guest JuggernautPunch
A 1200hp anything in a 350Z is not just "a swap" and if the concern is which swap & engine can be done cheapeast then I suggest you first understand what a 1200hp 350Z really is. Assuming 3300# with driver, you are talking about a car capable of 8.0s at 165+mph in the 1/4-mile. Continue to believe the stories about stock internals if you want but even if it is possible, trust me, the cost of the engine is just a part of what it will cost to put together a chassis capable of handling that kind of power. We are not talking about a street car or even a weekend cruiser unless that means driving it 6 blocks to the Steak-n-Shake.

Well u gotta understand this will be a project that will take awhile. Im jes lookin for the swap that will gimme some good power to start out with and that wont cost $20,000 (maybe just a bit lower) worth of fabrication. I mean as soon as its driveable im driving but eventually im gonna want a straight 8.0 or 9.0 drag strip car so why not prepare for it before hand by getting an engine that will be able to handle it. Im not gonna stick with the VQ build it all the way up and then realize that its gonna cost me more to make it that fast then what it was for the swap. TOO many people have said badthings about the VQ (stock internals and modded) for me not to take notice and maybe realize theres a reason for it.

Really? how did that swap go?expensive?

Still working on it. I was originally going to put it into a 280Z but decided after adding up the suspension and drivetrain stuff alone that it would be quite expensive to do... and even then probably wouldn't be able to perform where the Z32 would be able to.

I found a Z32 that was in a slight front wreck and picked it up for $500. On top of getting a pretty decent deal, the Z32 has always been a sort of dream car for me so that made this whole deal work out a whole lot better.

All I'm waiting on right now is an adapter plate to make the Z32 5-speed to the VH45 and it'll all start coming together quite fast. The adapter plate should be done quite soon and from there its just the more or less simple fabrication stuff and the not quite so simple wiring... but even then the wiring shouldn't be all too bad.

I have a front clip that I just bought to fix up the front end with so I just need to start doing that in the mean time.

Right now I'm in the process of putting the Q45 differential in with the Q45 hubs. Everything suspension wise from the Q45 is pretty much identical to the Z32. Its a mix of N/A and TT parts just about. The differential is an R200, and bolts right into the N/A subframe. It however uses the TT R230 style output flanges and 32 spline axles for better strength. It also uses the TT style hub/wheel bearing. Everything just bolts right in. I'll need a custom driveshaft made but nothing too difficult.

It should be running by mid-summer as long as everything goes as planned, which at the moment is looking good. I'll definitely be taking lots of pictures of the progress.

Guest JuggernautPunch

Everything just bolts right in

mmmmm i like the sound of that. funny i came here looking for some info and maybe some help on making a definitive choice but now u got me searching on the web for swap info on 1uz-FE and VH45DE (which i confused for the VQ45DE BIG difference) . Cant find much except for 1uz supra swaps and VH4 300ZX swaps. In truth the only thing that has me second guessing the 1UZ and the VH4 is aftermarket support.

So i know the VH is lighter than the VG but is it wider?. Its a V8 so i know its longer and the VG in the 300ZX looks like it BARELY fits.

I didn't notice I put a space there. :lol: I meant everything bolts in rear suspesion wise between the Q45 and Z32. The tranny will bolt right up to the stock locations, then from there I'd have to do some custom motor mounts. Getting it all in there isn't really all that hard, but its not 100% bolt it. Sorry about that.

The VH is wider than the VG. Its a 90 degree V8 so it sticks out quite a bit, but seems to fit pretty well inside the Z32's engine bay. The big difference is with the oil pan and huge intake manifold, the VH45 is quite a bit taller than the VG, which is why that one black Z32 had the hood cut up a bit. If you did a dry sump oil setup and did a custom intake it would be quite a bit shorter. Even with a custom intake alone, it would be a lot shorter.

The only downside to the custom intake is that the stock intake is actually a piece of art. Its a very good intake manifold and I wish I could keep mine on there but its just too tall.

I think the reason the VG is such a tight fit in the engine bay of the Z32 is because of the low hood, they had to make the intake very wide, which gives the look of a very tight engine bay. With the intake off, it actually doesn't look all that bad. With the VH45, the heads would basically sit in place of where the intake normally would be, and you could run a shorter intake forward of the engine.

Here's a good comparison between the VH and 1UZ. They also have a size comparison at the bottom of the page.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/promotive/Infiniti/Infinitihome.htm

Just about forgot. The stock rated power of the VH45 is 278, however most believe its closer to 305-315. Dyno's show that they're definitely making more than 278. Most believe that the 278 rating is for a VH45 without VTC's and moreso to do with the Japanese agreement sort of thing to not make cars with over 280 hp.

Also, the VH45 responds very well to boost stock because of its dynamic compression ratio. Static compression ratio is 10.2:1 but because of the the VTC's most believe it actually drops closer to around 9:1 because the intake closes slightly after bottom dead center.

The 1UZ has major limits that need serious attention. The heads are small and thus don't flow massive amounts. The stock internals although very strong need attention. The pistons need to be changed for sure, stock ones are only good for 500hp or so. (some have seen 600 on stock internals from what I gather). The heads are pretty much gonna cap out around 400NA hp and will keep up with the stock bottom end for turbo usage. Major head work would need to be done to get one over 1000hp

The 1UZ is up to the challange, but no offence it sounds like it's not the route for you. It would involve lots of work with various machine shops to have GOOD headwork done, custom grind cams made, custom (or modified) intake, ect. The list goes on. There isn't much aftermarket support for these motors, they have potential, but the market hasn't caught yet.

The newer VVi motors have different heads with MUCH better port designs that are similar in design the 2jz ports.

I don't know why you're so concerned about stock bottom figures. Even supra guys rebuild with stronger parts if they push over 800 reliably (unless they're the insane type going for bragging rights). The ONLY motor that i've seen dig well into the 1000hp range on a stock bottom end was a 03 cobra DOHC motor. And i've seen people destroy motors at 500hp because of mildly off tunes. It IS that imperrative that things be built RIGHT. The guy i'm reffering to with over 1000hp had ported heads, wild cams, completely aftermarket (kenny bell) supercharger, fully aftermarket EFI, ect. This was no mild build. You can't just start upgrading the force induction system until you reach the HP you want, you have to build everything for the hp range you want.

The only other motor that i've ever even seen into 1000hp is the 2jz, and i've seen those blow at lower HP numbers as well...

So I say stop even considering the "stock internal" limit numbers beucase it's irrelevant to you. Just beucase one motor maxes out soon on a stock bottom end doesn't mean it's not a good option. Maybe that car had crappy stock pistons and will actually reach your goals easier and cheeper.

My advice to you is look for the people with the HP range you want with the motors you're looking into, then find out how much they spent. THEN you can figure out what you want to go with. (also look into how often they're performing maintainence on thier car)

Guest JuggernautPunch
The 1UZ has major limits that need serious attention. The heads are small and thus don't flow massive amounts. The stock internals although very strong need attention. The pistons need to be changed for sure' date=' stock ones are only good for 500hp or so. (some have seen 600 on stock internals from what I gather). The heads are pretty much gonna cap out around 400NA hp and will keep up with the stock bottom end for turbo usage. Major head work would need to be done to get one over 1000hp

The 1UZ is up to the challange, but no offence it sounds like it's not the route for you. It would involve lots of work with various machine shops to have GOOD headwork done, custom grind cams made, custom (or modified) intake, ect. The list goes on. There isn't much aftermarket support for these motors, they have potential, but the market hasn't caught yet.

The newer VVi motors have different heads with MUCH better port designs that are similar in design the 2jz ports.

I don't know why you're so concerned about stock bottom figures. Even supra guys rebuild with stronger parts if they push over 800 reliably (unless they're the insane type going for bragging rights). The ONLY motor that i've seen dig well into the 1000hp range on a stock bottom end was a 03 cobra DOHC motor. And i've seen people destroy motors at 500hp because of mildly off tunes. It IS that imperrative that things be built RIGHT. The guy i'm reffering to with over 1000hp had ported heads, wild cams, completely aftermarket (kenny bell) supercharger, fully aftermarket EFI, ect. This was no mild build. You can't just start upgrading the force induction system until you reach the HP you want, you have to build everything for the hp range you want.

The only other motor that i've ever even seen into 1000hp is the 2jz, and i've seen those blow at lower HP numbers as well...

So I say stop even considering the "stock internal" limit numbers beucase it's irrelevant to you. Just beucase one motor maxes out soon on a stock bottom end doesn't mean it's not a good option. Maybe that car had crappy stock pistons and will actually reach your goals easier and cheeper.

My advice to you is look for the people with the HP range you want with the motors you're looking into, then find out how much they spent. THEN you can figure out what you want to go with. (also look into how often they're performing maintainence on thier car)[/quote']

This is good stuff REALLY thanks. but you're right. im willing to work my butt off for the swap but i think ill keep straight Nissan at least. Plus the aftermarket on the 1uz is buggin me.

But as for stock bottem end numbers usually how an engine performs stock is foresight on how it would handle huge power but not all the time especially for Honda engines. And its true that with enough money you can do anything but just reading up on the VQ i get the feeling that it would cost more to build it up than any of the other engines. 260 DET even stated it to

Lets put it this way. I chose a VG30DET over a VQ for my project because of doubts over the VQ's durability and reliability when pushing decent power. There are big power turbo VQ's but it appears that they have been heavily and expensively modified to stay in one piece.

Yeah i took it from another thread but it works here.