HybridZ

What Tool Can You Buy To Slot A Drilled Hole?

slownrusty

Gang - On my SFP L28 Turbo header one of the holes does not quite line up with the head...its close - but no cigar.

I do not want to use a drill bit as they "walk" and always make a mess.

Is there a tool I can buy to make a circular hole into a neat slotted hole without taking it to my machinist?

Thanks in advance!

Yasin

with the header off the car or lifted away from the head, use a quality drill bit that is the same size as the existing hole.

run the bit about a 1/4 way through the hole. using variable speed drill, on about half speed, some cutting oil, work the bit in and out.

without removing the bit from the hole, work your way towards the direction you want to slot the hole. angle the bit so you are cutting material as the bit moves. rock the bit back and forth.

probably take you about 6 minutes or so to ream it out.

i've done this bunches of times. works well.

good luck, wayne

Hey Doc,

Let's go REAL "old school" and grab the "most dangerous tool in the toolbox"...a round hand file... Might take a while, but you'll have absolute control of what you're doing and you probably already have one.

Anybody besides Doc know why it's called "the most dangerous tool in the box"?

Hey Doc' date='

Let's go REAL "old school" and grab the "most dangerous tool in the toolbox"...a round hand file... Might take a while, but you'll have absolute control of what you're doing and you probably already have one.

[/quote']

That is my vote. Nice to have a good assortment of various sized rat tail files.

I hate to say it but, the round files sounds like the best option. It'll be slow but, atleast it woun't be messed up when your done. How much slotting are we talking about anyway?

Also like Warren, was saying make sure it's got a handle on it! We don't ned any cool pics of the handle embedded into your hand. Ofcourse you already know that but, I thought I would state the obvious just incase someone else didn't yet.

A carbide quite a bit smaller should work; otherwise they have a tendency to grab, then chatter back and forth all around the hole.

I've a nice assortment of chainsaw chain sharpening files (various diameters). They work well, and seem to last longer than some files.