HybridZ

Brake Cooler Testing (i.e. what not to do)

ok... Silicone fluid is used for classic cars that sit up for long periods of time... It does not absorb water... It will allow you to store a classic for years without using it... It also shines the paint and rubber parts... instead of stripping them... $7k paint job gets the silicone fuid in my book... you would never track a $7k paint job though....

As far as brake cooling... I personally know 2 driver/owners who use water mist to cool brakes... No problemo with cracking the rotors... I doubt very seriously that CO2 would crack them either... you guys need to really think about the temp variation over short periods of time that brake rotors were designed to endure...

Having a cooler on one side' date=' but not the other and then switching them and repeating is the best way to take accurate data. The "safety" issue comes from me pushing the car hard on a mountain road. The proper way to do it is to spend $2k and get Buttonwillow Raceway for a day.

Now, jsut so all are aware, I am not speeding through corners on this mountain road, just the opposite. I am just waiting late to brake and then I am braking pretty hard. I don't think that I ever go over the speed limit and I have yet to squeal the tires in a turn. I am actually taking the turns pretty slow...you know, setting up properly for them. Slow in, fast out.

JRD[/quote']

Don't like to see tests that cause brakes to fail performed on public highways. You are being pretty dangerous. Better take this one off road.

I don't like the CO2 idea because you would have to carry an awful lot of CO2 to remove any significant amount of heat. Insufficient specific heat capacity.

And it is not the variation in temps over a prolonged period of time that are a problem. It is the rate of change of temp variation, as well as temperature gradients due to uneven cooling, that could embrittle and crack the steel. I think a steady water mist and bursts of CO2 are radically different in that regard.

Having a cooler on one side, but not the other and then switching them and repeating is the best way to take accurate data. The "safety" issue comes from me pushing the car hard on a mountain road. The proper way to do it is to spend $2k and get Buttonwillow Raceway for a day.

That's not a bad idea at all. But instead of renting the track, you could just go to an Open Track event at Buttonwillow. All you need is a safe car and a helmet and $150. 20 minute session should be able to get good data, and there's tons of run off room. It's still controlled in the beggining groups, no passing until you give a point by and that sort of thing. Streets of Willow is another good choice for you. See if the Porsche Owners Club is having a short track series event out there. Speeds are lower and it is tighter, more like a really huge autox. Tons of fun either way.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

http://socal.drivenasa.com/index.php?categoryid=3#oct8

http://www.porscheownersclub.org/

Looks like they have an event at SoW on September 9th.

Green Flag is running @ BW this weekend. The next POC @ SOW is in Sept. 9-10th. Open Track Racing has the Big Track on the same weekend. Don't know if you would want to wait that long tho. but man oh man are those tracks fun!

Donna

ok... Silicone fluid is used for classic cars that sit up for long periods of time... It does not absorb water... It will allow you to store a classic for years without using it... It also shines the paint and rubber parts... instead of stripping them... $7k paint job gets the silicone fuid in my book... you would never track a $7k paint job though....

As far as brake cooling... I personally know 2 driver/owners who use water mist to cool brakes... No problemo with cracking the rotors... I doubt very seriously that CO2 would crack them either... you guys need to really think about the temp variation over short periods of time that brake rotors were designed to endure...

Sorry dude water mist and co2 are very different in temp. the big rig racing they do in europe use water to cool there brakes.

Stony... you can draw more BTUs off faster with water than you ever will using CO2 in quantities useful on a race car....

Technicly the CO2 can come out colder but it warms up considerably in a short distance traveled... unless you have some sort of close running nozzel array within mm of the rotor surfaces... obviously no one wants to use CO2 to cool their brakes... but I was addressing the possible use of any coolant applied to the brakes... water is the best choice for many reasons.... jeeze man....

Green Flag is running @ BW this weekend. The next POC @ SOW is in Sept. 9-10th. Open Track Racing has the Big Track on the same weekend. Don't know if you would want to wait that long tho. but man oh man are those tracks fun!

All right Donna!!! Always nice to see ladies at the track, and here at Hybrid Z too. :D

Don't like to see tests that cause brakes to fail performed on public highways. You are being pretty dangerous. Better take this one off road. quote]

Loosing my brakes has never happened before - I have had significant fade due to pad vaporization, but never complete loss like this. I had never gotten the brakes that hot. Believe you me, Rt 2 is the LAST place anyone would want to lose their brakes. People have several suggestions for open track sessions that I am going to look into for future testing.

Thanks

Joe

You should do it on the track because then yuo can say your product was "Racer Track Tested" when you go to market it. But more importantly it is safe.

That is a good idea, and youare correct, safety is the primary reason.

It has allready seen track use...check out http://www.fourproducts.com/FSBC.html and click on FSBC Racing.

JRD

Yeah, I used to race Pro-7 at Buttonwillow - what a blast. I had to sell the Pro-7 though to start this business. Hopefully I will be back at it when sales pick up. Have all the necessary equipment, just need to set up a Z and take SuperSchool again.....

JRD