HybridZ

VIDEO of my $40 paint job

big-phil

I have never run a car at the track, what is the 50/50 rule?

I just had to look that up. From NASA TT Official National Rules:

9.2 General Car Appearance

All vehicles must be in good condition and appearance. Vehicles with excessive body damage,

primered body panels, etc., are not permitted. The vehicle must meet the “50/50†rule, which

means it must look undamaged and straight at fifty (50) mph from fifty (50) feet away.

My buddy has been running this car at NASA HPDEs without getting hassled:

bee8.jpg

Imagine the look on the new Lotus Elise owners face when this car passed him on the front straight at Laguna Seca... :D

I love watching videos of the Datsun's kicking A$$ The look on the guys face in the 06 Pontiac GTO when I beat him from one stop light to the other was worth the $3.10 per gallon of super gas I put in.

oh big phil...you have taken the rustoleum idea and run with it. I am going to roll my engine bay now that my motor is out. My only problem is that the lower portion of my ca's body has been in at least two wrecks. One in the mid to late 70s and once in 86. It has had impacts at all four corners. I don't really care what the body looks like too much and that is why I am doing rustoleum. I just need to build my motor now. Not the greatest project for a kid that just blew a wad on suspension/clutch/flywheel and is now poor and going to college not working a job...go figure. At least I have rustoleum and rollers!

Beating a modern car is fun too. Beat a vette with more than twice my displacement and horsepower...400hp, $50k car vs. a ~190hp $7k 33 year old car. Unfortunately wrist pins can't take too much of that...oh well. time to make it a $13k 300hp car... :-)

"function over form" is the way to go for sure.

I've got 4 coats of paint. It went on pretty thick? I talked to a painter and he said that an automotive clear coat will have a negative reaction to the rustolium oil enamel?? I was going to buy some clear and hardner and try a small test spot on my metal ramps that I shot with paint to prime the gun between coats.

I used rattle can rustoleum gloss black to paint my hood and used a can of clear to experiment with. You want to spray the clear after the last coat has been set for a couple of hours, if you do it too early, it will cause the base coat to crack, I'm sure you guys know what I mean. You also want to apply it in really light coats and have the time between coats (clear) longer. Doing this will make it less likely for you to have to sand between coats, but you do want to sand the base coat before you start clearing. My "experimenting" cost me like $75 in rattle paint for JUST THE HOOD. lol.

maaco is actually a good deal IF you do the prep work for them..

they just wash ur car and spray it... no sanding not prep...

so it looks good for a while but after a few, the paint will start to peel and bubble with poor adhesion

Ok i just wathced the rest of your video and got two of my questions answered. We don't have HomeDepot here so I'll check out the local hardware store.

Is it automotive paint or what?

Its rustolium Its made for stuff like metal fences, farm equipment. I'm sure they have a web site? I mixed it 32oz paint to 8oz acetone (thinner)