HybridZ

this heat and working on cars

David K

Agreed that this heat is miserable, especially when air conditioning at the office breaks down! But also agreed that it’s nowhere near as unpleasant as the winter freeze. Last year right before Christmas we got >12” of snow, followed by sub-zero nights and 10-deg days. It’s almost 400’ from my garage to the road, and digging that by hand took me most of one night, the entire following day, and the next evening. We ran out of clean drinking water (it is unsafe to drink our tap water, as it comes from a questionable well), and quite literally had to gather snow in buckets and boil it. Summer might be especially hot in the city, but winter is especially miserable in the countryside! Every time I catch myself cursing the heat, I shudder to contemplate the coming snows.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take three feet of snow over 95 and humid. Snowblower does all the work and the WRX is like a snowmobile with heat and a radio. If I get cold, I'll pull a beer out of the snow and go sit next to the wood burning stove. The only thing I don't like is that the Z is out of comission from the first snow to the first big rain in Spring that washes the salt away.

In general people seem to like Summer but I prefer the cool dry Winter air.

Guest 280ZForce

heat definitely has been ridiculous in southern ca, well inland atleast. it was 108* on Friday, 114* w/ thunder and lightning storms w/ some rains on Saturday and 110* on Sunday. Each day w/ easily 50+% humidity.

It has been in the 100s the whole past week here w/ crappy humidity.

I was in Palm Springs last weekend and we hit 117-120 everyday and even at 10pm at night it was still 105* out easy.

It hit 115 in vacaville friday (a city about 1/2 way between SF and sac). My house is near the coast, like I can see water from my driveway. That same day it was 100 in the shade my house with no good breeze to speak of. That's unheard of.

Saturday it was 99, which was 14 degrees above the record set in 1960. It felt hotter than I remember it had ever been and turns out it nearly was. But still 99 wasn't all that bad after my cloathes were soaked with sweat it was quite comfortable with a slight breeze. I was welding up the headers on my truck, took me 5 hours because I could only do about 1/2" of welding before I had to take off my welding jacket and stand in front of the fan. I almost welded shirtless but thought better of it since little bits of metal are sometimes flying around and I didn't want a sunburn from the weld. I did take a walk on the wild side a bit and welded in shorts instead of protective pants.

Dang FORDS, I had to remove the motor mount and frame on the pass side to get the headers on, and remove the break lines to get it in on the drivers side. What a pain in the ARSE! It's like 74 now. Feels cold.

I'm not working on my car today!!!

Effing_Hot.jpg

With humidity at these levels, the sweat won't evaporate off your body. Your body will not cool effectively. Thus it feels like 113F.

As the temp drops into the 80's tonight, the humidity will stay in the 98% range. BLAAAAHHHH.