HybridZ

Is this a good setup?

I'm kinda new to messing with cars, I have kinda a good Idea of what I'm doing, but still not really sure.

I have a 240Z with a pretty much stock L24, I want a storng reliable engine with decent power(200-250hp) first thing I'm going to work on is the ignition system. Here's what I want to do:

XR 3000 Electronic Ignition

Crane PS-91 High preformance Coil

And, the European 240Z Distributor

Comments? Pros and cons? Better suggestions? Any help is appreciated.

ur ignition system sounds like it would be pretty good , but realistically, 250hp out of an l24 is going to require extensive work including major headwork, a cam and maybe even higher compression slugs. If u really want a stout motor that will be super reliable @ 250whp without major modification u should look into the l28et swap(81-83 280zx turbos) 2.8l ohc turbo motor...the swap is fairly simple due to the fact that the L family motors use the same motor and tranny mounts. With the l28et and a few mods such as downpipe, exhaust, intercooler and mayba some sort of ems or the ecu from a early z31 250whp should be attainable with the stock turbo @ about 13-15psi depending on ur setup. Do a search and u can find a lot more on any of the things i just mentioned

250hp out of an L24 is going to require race gas and 12:1 compression or thereabouts. I believe that is about what the EP road racing cars put out at the flywheel, not the wheels.

Turbo is a good suggestion, as is a V8. A VERY mild V8 would put down 250 whp.

If you're determined to keep the L24, we can discuss those parts. I don't think the Euro distributor is going to gain you much unless your current distributor is worn out. The Crane setup and the coil should be good for about 10 hp. I'd go NA 280ZX distributor instead of the Euro.

Just for comparison's sake, I have an L28 pushing about 240 whp, and it has about 11:1 compression, 44 Mikunis, 280ZX distributor, ported head, cam, 2.5" exhaust, etc etc etc, and a 15% bump in displacement from your L24. It's very high strung and requires 95 octane gas to prevent pinging.

thanks for the info guys, yeah, i figured that 250whp was probably out of the question without either a L28ET, V8, or a lot of head work. The only reason I havent pursued the L28 turbo swap is because I have the stock L24 in it now, and i just got another L24 plus a second trans for $140.

The L24 I just got has been cross bored, crank has been polished, has a brand new cam, SU carbs were rebuilt 1k miles ago... all it needs is new rockers and an oil pan.

my car is having some really bad electrical problems right now, so i need to test a lot of stuff and i have a feeling i may have to just re-wire everything having to do with the ignition.... so I wanted to look at some good upgrades for the ignition system since I'm gonna have to go through and mess with it.

I plan to do some other upgrades later, just not sure what all to do to get the best results from the L24, I know I want to stay with the SU carbs. I will probably be getting a preformance cam at some point, but i dont know much about cams at this point, and I'm not really sure what else to do yet.

If i start having problems with the L24's, or if i decide that i want more power than I can get out of the L24, I do have some L28ET's staked out, so I may eventually pick one up.

I've been taking classes at a community college, trying to learn as much as I can.. I understand a lot of the mechanical stuff, how the valvetrain works, etc... but the electrical systems, ignition specifically, i dont really know much about...

So are there any cons to the XR 3000 or the Crane PS-91?

If you're determined to keep the L24, we can discuss those parts. I don't think the Euro distributor is going to gain you much unless your current distributor is worn out. The Crane setup and the coil should be good for about 10 hp. I'd go NA 280ZX distributor instead of the Euro.

What parts can you suggest for the L24?

I plan to keep the car for a loooong time, I'm probably going to be driving it occasionally at first, then driving it more frequently as I get the original engine working reliably again... After the original engine is running well, and I have a chance to replace all the bushings with polyurothane and replace any damaged suspension parts, I'll probably be taking it autocrossing on occasion trying to get a feel for the car.

In the mean time, I have a second engine I can be building up. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about engine preformance so I can make good decisions on what kind of engine work to do, but at the moment, i still dont know very much.

Thanks again for your earlier input, I would definately appreciate any more suggestions or info you would like to share with me!

• 2 weeks later...