HybridZ

Hybrid Z Car Sponsorship?

Twoeightnine

I am with the HybridZ team what ever they decide. When I first saw their was pinks build I was excited. I do not really care too much for pinks, like it has been said before it is the sandbagging and negotiations that when the race not necessarily the car or driver. But I do watch it when it comes on most of the time.

I did contribute to the pinks build as far as a donation of money and I hate the build turned out the way it did. I was excited about seeing the car on pinks and I think the guys represented us well as could be expected.

So if the hybridZ team or group decides to build a car I am in, weather parts or money, labor or time. I do think it should be a drag car, and it would be nice to get back on Pinks and hopefully show them what it is all about.

John

I'd enjoy seeing a 'house' car representing HybridZ.

The builders will understand that the financial responsibility is theirs alone (member contributions are gravy), and it would be a chance for sponsors to gain exposure as well as HybridZ.

Dan/ the administrators need to reserve the right to pull the HybridZ name from the car at their discretion.

I don't think that anyone can have too much to say if a group of guys wants to band together to build a car. If you decide to do that it's not my problem. My problem is with Hybrid Z ownership, because I think there will be trouble and I'd rather that trouble not reflect the site itself. I don't feel membership or loyalty to the original Pinks build. I do feel membership and loyalty to this site though.

I was thinking about this a bit last night, and as many have already stated there are already cars out there which are very capable of flying the Hybrid Z banner. What if the site or members actually did a typical sponsorship of those cars and gave the owners parts or $$$ to go race. Make up some gigantic Hybrid Z window vinyls or something and let them continue racing and just help them out. I think I'd be more willing to throw some money at someone like Hans or the jnj guys or Stony then to put money into another Pinks-ish build. With this type of strategy we might be able to help MORE guys kick MORE ass and send a bigger message about who we are and what we do. And instead of having one build that is good at one thing, we can all pitch in to have a different car that is good at each type of event. Just an idea.

How about I put a spin on the original question.

What would the membership think' date=' how would you feel if a handfull of the membership created a "house" car regarless of the views presented.

Good, bad, indifferent?[/quote']

I'm for any kind of creative effort. Build away. Build as many cars in your lifetime as you can manage. I plan to do just that.

The owners/admins have made it clear that this site is not a democracy. The membership doesn't get to choose if you can claim HybridZ as a "sponsor." The owners of HybridZ do. Put together a well-built car and who knows what could happen.

To echo a couple of other posters: community owned projects frequently lead to conflicts. In the past steps were taken to minimize personal conflicts (e.g. no political or religious discussions). To me, sponsoring another community build doesn't seem like it benefits the site enough to warrant the risk. But then again, I don't make the decision. So take my opinion for what it's worth.

I just read jmortensen comments and have not thought of it that way. We would be Mighty proud to display a HybridZ vinyl sticker etc. on our car. We would be willing to help another HybridZ team member or members with a car they already have Like Zgad, etc. Who go around and race at events.

The only problem with our car is we are basically a Grudge car / No time car. We are no where close to getting NHRA certified for a big event, IHRA no problem. With the present Zcar we have. In the future I do have a tube chassis frame, that I am planning on putting a 240Z body on. It does ahave a NHRA rollcage, it will have a Dana 60 rear eand with ladder bars, full 12 point cage, etc. Plan on streaching the wheelbase and setting back the engine some.

PS: If anyone has a HybridZ Vinyl decal for the back window, or side glass ( x2 ). Please let us know, we would be glad purchase it and will be honored to put it on the car.

Just an idea.

John

What if the site or members actually did a typical sponsorship of those cars and gave the owners parts or $$$ to go race. Make up some gigantic Hybrid Z window vinyls or something and let them continue racing and just help them out. I think I'd be more willing to throw some money at someone like Hans or the jnj guys or Stony.

I wouldn't mind displaying a large decal applied in a balanced and tasteful manner. At the races I always represent Hybridz anyway although my hatch decal is small. Of course this would jeopardize my Z's sleeper status but it may be a worthy sacrifice.:-)

Hanns

I would rather send a check to Dan. This site has to be expensive in both time and money. I have nothing against publicity, and tell anyone I meet about Hybrid Z. However, I am afraid that we could be overrun with flamers, purests, and hordes of the braindead. The preceding is just my uninformed opinion;)

By the way, money is above chin and below nose... the check is in the mail.

Joe

Likewise, if we built an autoxer that probably wouldn't make Hans or Dr Hunt or Scottie terribly happy either.

Not going to make a big deal about it but I do take exception to the statement since it implies I (and those listed) are into drag racing only. If no one knew who I was and looked at my sig, a "drag racer" is the last thing thing that would come to their mind. I have owned hot(ter than stock) 911s since 1982! but considering some of the attitudes here re 911 and 911 owners, the last thing I want to do is talk about that.

No harm, no foul. Its hard enough to have to deal with the 911 stigma. I do not need another. Ironically, everyone "knows" me as a drag racer but I am first and foremost a Porsche fanatic having owned 2 Carreras, a Euro tuner SC, a 944 S2 Cab and my favorite, the 914/302 SBC. OK, lemme stop because I am doing what I said I do not want to do, talk about Porsches on HybridZ :D :D

More like what types of "racing" did you do. I did not do anything I would consider competitive because most of my cars were hybrids or modded giving me no chance of being competitive because I never took it seriously enough to make major investments. I auto-x'd a Sunbeam Tiger which was a terrible car for that but great for teaching me car control :rolleyes:. Despite the reputation of the GNZ, it was originally built for auto-x and driver schools with an L28/5-spd, cam and triple Mikunis. I started to drag race the GNZ to test the power when I swapped in the L28et so my wife could drive the 911SC at drivers school and we could have a little in-house competition. The 911SC was a Max & Moritz (euro tuner that Porscephiles should know) special with a 3.2L and suspension mods that would easily tromp on the NA Z. Also auto-x'd a stock 90 M3 for a while . Drifted towards more drag racing because the local auto-x relocated, the regional drivers school is Roebling Road, a 600-mile roundtrip for me, the drag strip is a 18-mile roundtrip & $10 and the wife wanted a convertible so we got the current Cab but never installed the required rollbar. Most of all, I started getting a kick out of pissing off the locals at the drag strip with a car they could not figure out :D. It was not rice, was not one of the local spanish rigged cars, did not have a V-8 and should not be that quick.

Like I said, no harm, no foul. A while back I had a zcar.com purist call me a "redneck drag racer". Imagine that :D :D

As for the HybridZ car, I am on the fence but know that it would have to be funded by the members but built and managed by a small group. You would need to make a decision on the purpose of the car, not just what form of racing, but is the car being built to be competitive and a winner or just to promote the site. Therein lies my fence-straddling. I do not care what form of racing it is selected for but that will be the mother of all HybridZ debates. If the intention is to be competitive, could it really be? It obviously has to be a hybrid and like the little problem I ran into, what "class" would it compete in and do we honestly, I mean honestly, believe it could be competitive? If it is being done to prmote the site, do we really want to promote the site and have it grow any larger and attract the crowd we have so long tried to avoid? I like the idea of selecting certain members cars and doing a little to help them promote the HybridZ spirit.

Like the title says, that's the question.

Here's another idea. Instead of everybody contributing to build a car that's gonna be a controversial nightmare, as far as ownership, participation, cooperation, etc...why not everybody build their own cars with a goal? That goal being to "qualify" to fly the HybridZ decal on the rear window/s or something like that. Let's UP the standards of what is carrying the colors.

Say for example, that an AutoX car has to complete 3-5 laps or sessions without major failure before it could wear the Hybrid Z logo.

or

Say for example, that a Drag car has to make 3-5 complete runs down the 1/4 mile (with time slips) without major failure before it could wear the Hybrid Z logo.

or

Say for example, a Road Race car has to complete 3-5 events without major failure before it could wear the Hybrid Z logo.

Now for MY point of view on the subject.

Seems there are alot of "gung ho" folks out there that want to be proud of something with the Hybrid Z logo on it. Why not make it your own car? I mean, aren't there enough UNfinished project cars sitting around in people's garages and workshops?

Instead of sending each other a bunch of money or parts or whatnot, perhaps each of us should get together with our nearest Hybrid Z members and collaborate on finishing some of these cars sitting around. Two heads are better than one, in most cases, and I'm sure we could all use a helping hand from time to time.

Just a couple of thoughts on (or around) the subject.

Warren

like the idea of selecting certain members cars and doing a little to help them promote the HybridZ spirit.

This concept seems to be surfacing more and more. The reasons do make sense. Regardless of the disipline, it's a "pick your hero and back em" concept.

In crew racing it has, and allways will be, that a select few individuals have the starter money, shop, chassis, connections or otherwise. People on their own or through recruitment, help out in varying ways according to their physical, technical, or financial capabilities. A team.

Not every one can or should drive. One lends ones strenghts to the task at hand.

I like what is comming from the disscussion. The one item that is close to constant is the showing of the Hybrid Z emblem as a matter of pride. Perhaps all we really need is an Org blessing to display our Z cars in their respective disiplines wearing the Hybrid Z logo? The rest may take care of its self.

As exciting as it is to compete, it is so very true that we would never please every one. And, with that, I feel confident the majority of us want our legacy to be more than that of "streetracer". Even if we like to "street race" now and again. ;)

Here's another idea. Instead of everybody contributing to build a car that's gonna be a controversial nightmare' date=' as far as ownership, participation, cooperation, etc...why not everybody build their own cars with a goal? That goal being to "qualify" to fly the HybridZ decal on the rear window/s or something like that. Let's UP the standards of what is carrying the colors.

Sound familiar?

More thoughts!

Do the admins and moderators really want to get into the business of arbitrating who can and can't have a HybridZ sticker/logo on their car?

If there were 'sponsorship' dollars involved, then you would want to make sure the finished product lives up to a certain standard before sending the money.

However, the industry standard is to give the 'logo' in the form of stickers away to anyone that wants to provide a free billboard to advertise the product.

That's why you can get nearly any manufacturer to send you stickers with their logo for a small fee.

I like the first part of Warren's previous post:

"Instead of everybody contributing to build a car that's gonna be a controversial nightmare, as far as ownership, participation, cooperation, etc...why not everybody build their own cars with a goal?"

Although, my goal would be to complete a powerful, reliable, well engineered and FINISHED project.

I know, I know, these cars are almost NEVER "finished" and live in a perpetual state of "near" completion with just a few mods left. But I think we know when a car is ready for prime time. If someone wants to display a HybridZ logo while their car is a work in progress, then I think they should be able to go for it.

NOTE: No vinyl letters were harmed during the making of this diatribe...

It has been suggested by the administrators that a thread be started to guage the interest in a' date=' (in part), forum sponsored, highly monitored Z car build for the purpose of promoting the Z car experience and the Hybrid Z philosophy to the public via racing events.

There has been much discussion of the type of events as well as the type of car build. That is the topic of a separate thread.

What is asked here is...how many of you are willing to be a part of a maintained, shown, raced Hybrid Z? Small or large...lets hear it.[/quote']

Why not just use the already highly modified daily driven race/show cars on this site? Skip the BS and get right to the end result.

Why did we send a man to the moon? Besides the russians, of course.

I think it was because we could. There was no profit involved in it. It was a dedicated group of rocket scientists (no pun) who were dedicated to their cause and to show that they could do it.

I feel the same way about my Z. I want to keep working on it because I believe I can do it.

I believe that a collective effort of all involved here could yield a car that's engineered and built beyond anyones belief.

It is to this that I believe that a hybridz car should be built. To showcase the best of the best, to show that we're not a bunch of old datsun freaks driving some dinosaur cars.

We the people shall gather and write down what we want to see in this car. The car will be built by the people, for the people and have rules written on a hybridzitution.

Such rules can be like the following:

1. Thou shalleth contain within; an alternative method of propulsion.

2. Thine car shall haveth true A-arms for anti-dive purposes.

3. etc etc

Essentially, I believe this car should show people all that we have learned from working on these cars and showcase them in such a way as to get the public interest going in them.

What do you guys think?