HybridZ

Don't mess with DR. HUNT

COZY Z COLE

The .30-.378 Wby mag has SuperDan written all over it if he ever goes hunting. It's a combination arnold schwartzenegger/jenny craig hunting weapon. Weights 29lb total, but it shoots one hole groups at 100 yards. It started life in factory trim and was given to me by a hunter that I guided a couple of years ago. I couldn't handle the recoil so I had my gunsmith fix it.

10 year old kids aren't very bright. All three are now in springer for a 30 day evaluation. Springer is a juvenile hard core maximum security lockup for the baddest of the bad kids. I hope they enjoy their time there, I know I am just knowing that they are there.

10 year old kids aren't very bright. All three are now in springer for a 30 day evaluation. Springer is a juvenile hard core maximum security lockup for the baddest of the bad kids. I hope they enjoy their time there' date=' I know I am just knowing that they are there.[/quote']

I hope those kids end up with a new name. "Ben Dover"

Although i dunno about SuperDan + Beer + high powered firearms :cheers::lmao::lmao::bonk::mrgreen: j/k!

Yeah Doc, that whole situation with the kids just blows me away...It reminds me of John Travolta's line from Pulp Fiction: "It would have been worth having them do it, if I could have caught him doing it..."

It's too bad you weren't able to get any satisfaction at the scene...

Doc, I'm really liking that .30-.378. What's the barrel length on that? 30"? I've been thinking of building something similar in .300 RSUM on a Remington action. Either that or going all out with a 50BMG on AR lower receiver...... A gun collection just isn't complete without a little long distance action. :)

Mike

Me too!

I can't imagine what would have happened if they'd of got the fire started. That is still bothering me' date=' cause I could be dead now if I had of driven up at the wrong time.[/quote']

Another 10 minutes or so, and they may have figured it out. It makes you think about the timing of such things, if you would have made another stop along the way, etc. The two barrels of fuel, not to mention all of the artillery, there goes the whole nieghborhood.......BOOM! Fortunately, they didn't get it going, it could have been worse, but most importantly you are o.k.

I am most pleased all 3 of them are in the Springfield facility........Bubba is looking for em'.

Again, good luck on getting everything back in order.

• 5 weeks later...

The good doctor isn't the only one with a personal arsenol. lol This is my newest toy, a Savage Model 12 Precision Varmint in .22-250 (special order with a 1-9" twist barrel) and a couple targets representing what it's capable of at 100yds. Not bad for a bone-stock factory rifle.

SledgeHammer1.jpg

SledgeHammer2.jpg

52gr_Speer_TNT2.jpg52gr_SMK.jpg

Another favorite is my Savage Striker in .22-250. Not only is it fun to shoot, but with the 3-12x Burris scope and Ballistic-Plex reticle it's deadly on g-hogs and PD's out to 400 yards with 50gr Nosler BT's.

Striker1.jpg

Then of course there's my baby, a Savage 110PEL in .30-06 that's one of 25 ever built (758 made in total in three calibers between 1965 and 1969, of which less than 10% were lefties). Action is nickel plated and fully engraved, as is everything else except the barrel itself. All the engraving work was done in Germany, and the stock is French walnut and was made by Sile of Italy.

110PEL-6.jpg

110PEL-7.jpg

110PEL-4.jpg

110PEL-2.jpg

Might as well throw in my 1000 yard rifle as well, a custom built Savage chambered in .22-250 Ackley with a 1-8" twist barrel. This puppy will shoot 1/2 MOA @ 500 yards when I do my part with the 80gr Nosler bullets leaving the muzzle at a hair over 3400fps.

VT02.jpg

Awesome! Very nice pieces. My collection is pretty run of the mill, I guess, since I did mostly IPSC stuff, not much long range shooting. But I do have this to show off:

ar50_1.jpg

Definitely the most fun (if the least practical) firearm I own.

I used to shoot IPSC alot. Those are some nice groups. I'll have to take a pic of my 6.5-06 groups, they are in the 1's. Most accurate gun I've ever shot. Sako action, douglas barrel, Leupold 16x and a canjar single set trigger. shoots a 100gr HP with 50gr of Rx22 right at about 3000fps.

I'd really like to get a .50BMG like that, how does it shoot?

It shoots like a dream!

I have actually only gotten to shoot it one time (all day of course.) I have to drive to my friend's brother's farm, he is the only place even remotely close with enough distance to shoot it. It's hard to get together with all of our schedules so I can't make it out there often. He does have a nice 1200yd stretch, though.

I was shocked by the fact that there is basically no recoil. The thing comes with a package of Tylenol, but that's obviously just a joke - it's only loud, not painful. The gas from the muzzle brake did knock over a bunch of plywood 10 feet away the first time I shot it...you have to be careful not to stand in the path of that. I had been told by all the shooters I hung out with that it would feel like a .30-06 - well, that may be true for a Barrett. The Armalite just pushes on your shoulder a little - it's slow and you don't have to even hold it tightly. Less snap than a .22lr!

I assume you were asking about accuracy, and I have to be honest, we were having so much fun that day we didn't do much real precision shooting. It's too much of a pain to get all the way down there are change paper! We sighted it in at 100yds and it drills! After a few shots Mike (who has some very nice rifles built to take advantage of his full range) was putting every round in the exact same hole.

After that we shot at 55gallon drums of water (awesome!!!) and hanging metal plates (until they fell off the post) and a 6.5' painted metal slihouette. That was great too, because the orange paint would get burned off by the incindiary rounds and make a big cloud of orange smoke.

We weren't really paying close attention to how close the groups were, but let me put it like this - it was rare anyone ever missed the targets, and they were 900 yards away. And although I doubt the gun is truly this precise, I have to tell this story anyway.

We'd been shooting for a couple of hours and Mike's friend said that he couldn't get down on the ground because of recent hip surgery. He and Mike both shoot daily on the 1200yd range, and they are far better shots than I'll ever be. You could tell he was dying to shoot it though, and at the end of the day he just couldn't stand it any more. We had just resprayed the target with paint, and he got down and took 3 shots. When we saw the group we were all pretty surprised - all 3 rounds were within 3.5" each other. This is with bulk reloaded Lake City brass with military surplus projectiles.

I'm definitely going out there this fall when it cools down, and although I seriously doubt I could ever reproduce that kind of grouping, I will try and get an idea of what kind of groups I can manage with these reloads instead of just blowing stuff up (although there is a lot to be said for that too.) I haven't shot enough to justify a new press for .50bmg so I will use that as an excuse too. :)

Other than having to a lug around a 40-something pound rifle, it's really easy on me - I can shoot it all day (unlike my 7mm mag.)

Nope. :mrgreen: Shooting into ballistic gelatin will cause the bullet to expand and/or fragment. Same will happen if you shoot it into water.

Last November Ron Coburn (CEO of Savage Arms) invited me up to the factory for a few days to see how their rifles are made and to do a little shooting at his private range. When I got there and walked into his office, he had a Barrett .50 sitting on his desk so naturally I had to ask what the story was. As it turns out, Ron was just finishing up designing one of their Ballistic Buddy Traps for Barrett Firearms that could handle the big 50. He showed me a bullet he'd fired into the trap and outside of the marks where it engaged the rifling it was totally unmarked. No deformation what-so-ever (I even checked it with a mic!). Needless to say I was impressed.

Right now most every major U.S. firearms manufacturer as well as most branches of the military, the FBI and the LAPD are all using Savage system in one form or another.

Here's a link with more details:

http://www.snailtraps.com/index.htm

In the animation on the link above you'll see how their SNAIL Traps work.

It shoots like a dream!

I have actually only gotten to shoot it one time (all day of course.) I have to drive to my friend's brother's farm' date=' he is the only place even remotely close with enough distance to shoot it. It's hard to get together with all of our schedules so I can't make it out there often. He does have a nice 1200yd stretch, though.

I was shocked by the fact that there is basically no recoil. The thing comes with a package of Tylenol, but that's obviously just a joke - it's only loud, not painful. The gas from the muzzle brake did knock over a bunch of plywood 10 feet away the first time I shot it...you have to be careful not to stand in the path of that. I had been told by all the shooters I hung out with that it would feel like a .30-06 - well, that may be true for a Barrett. The Armalite just pushes on your shoulder a little - it's slow and you don't have to even hold it tightly. Less snap than a .22lr!

I assume you were asking about accuracy, and I have to be honest, we were having so much fun that day we didn't do much real precision shooting. It's too much of a pain to get all the way down there are change paper! We sighted it in at 100yds and it drills! After a few shots Mike (who has some very nice rifles built to take advantage of his full range) was putting every round in the exact same hole.

After that we shot at 55gallon drums of water (awesome!!!) and hanging metal plates (until they fell off the post) and a 6.5' painted metal slihouette. That was great too, because the orange paint would get burned off by the incindiary rounds and make a big cloud of orange smoke.

We weren't really paying close attention to how close the groups were, but let me put it like this - it was rare anyone ever missed the targets, and they were 900 yards away. And although I doubt the gun is truly this precise, I have to tell this story anyway.

We'd been shooting for a couple of hours and Mike's friend said that he couldn't get down on the ground because of recent hip surgery. He and Mike both shoot daily on the 1200yd range, and they are far better shots than I'll ever be. You could tell he was dying to shoot it though, and at the end of the day he just couldn't stand it any more. We had just resprayed the target with paint, and he got down and took 3 shots. When we saw the group we were all pretty surprised - all 3 rounds were within 3.5" each other. This is with bulk reloaded Lake City brass with military surplus projectiles.

I'm definitely going out there this fall when it cools down, and although I seriously doubt I could ever reproduce that kind of grouping, I will try and get an idea of what kind of groups I can manage with these reloads instead of just blowing stuff up (although there is a lot to be said for that too.) I haven't shot enough to justify a new press for .50bmg so I will use that as an excuse too. :)

Other than having to a lug around a 40-something pound rifle, it's really easy on me - I can shoot it all day (unlike my 7mm mag.)[/quote']

Cool, last year I was going to buy one, but the guy was weird. The gun was here in NM and he was in Calif and wouldn't talk directly to you over the phone. He wanted in intermediary. Also he wouldn't give out his address, email or anthing to talk or to send money he wanted me to give money to this intermediary guy with no receipt. Too weird for me so I backed out.