HybridZ

whats the potential of these two cars?

mobythevan

The Mark III supra is well known to have head gasket problems, other than that they seem to be really fun and upgradeable. I feel that the 7m-GTE motor is one of those "fell through the cracks" performance engines, it could have been great if the 2jz-GTE (or 1JZ for that matter) weren't so awesome...As for the All-trac celica, they have decent sized turbo's from the factory (the one I saw did anyway), and they are intercooled. All in all, I don't know much about the celica from a reliablity standpoint, but there are still one or two kicking around here in tampa that seem to be running ok. Toyota builds a reliable car for the most part.

As I am big Toyota guy and have many many years working on these cars, I'll pitch in.

Everyone knows the potential of the 7MGTE in the Supra Mk.3, they are quite frankly incredible, great driving cars and a good condition one is so cheap its sickening - good for us though!

I have helped several friends build their 3SGTE which is engine that resides in the AllTrac Celica and the 2ng Gen Celica. A really good friend of mine owns http://www.185performance.com and he specializes in these Celicas and he owns a pretty wicked one. 400hp can be extracted on a stock bottom end with no sacrifice on reliability, the heads were designed by Yamaha. They are great engines - as can be expected by Toyota.

Here is his little beauty EVO killer:

92136975.jpg

92136968.jpg

and just for fun a generation pic of some hot Toyotas '70s-'80s-'90s

19765897.jpg

19765916.jpg

Yasin

I had a 1987 MKIII Supra. Some people swear by these cars, but it wasn’t my type at all: heavy, ponderous, and with obnoxiously annoying turbo lag. Oh yeah, and the head gasket blew twice. They are, however, quite comfortable and very stable in high-speed cruising, but that’s not my driving style.

The car that I really miss is my 1983 Celica - it was the first generation to have reliable fuel injection, and the last generation still with RWD. It was a bit boxy, but reasonably light (about 2600 lbs, if I’m not mistaken) despite being quite roomy. A really cool swap would have been some sort of V8 (such as 302 Ford) into the 1983-1985 Celica. Some pictures of a similarly-equipped drag Celica were floating around a few years ago.