HybridZ

S12 gazelle 9.12 @ 153.4 mph

Ben D

What does that svelt beauty weigh?

I ran the car on the street with the GT35R and a tight turbine housing (0.82)' date=' I found it spooled about as well as an old T3/4 hybrid I had on a previous car, so I reckon they are definitely streetable . They don't pull like a bigblock from 2000 rpm (they are only 2 litres after all), but from 3500 on you have to hold on. So compared to other cars with similar performance, the GT35R is definitely on the small side. It would boogie with a 88-94 mm compressor on it I'd reckon.........

All the FJ20s are twin cam 16 valve, they are simply so old that Nissan was not using the D suffix for their motors back then in the early 80's. Today, nissan would call the turbo variant as FJ20DET.

But the comparison between FJ and L is correct, they were both around at the same time., though the L was a late 60's design and the FJ a late 70's early 80's design.[/quote']

Hugh - Most people compare the FJ and SR as both are 2.0L 16V twin cam turbno engines and many people have forgotten how great the FJ truly was and alot of focus has been on the SR - which incidently is a great great motor.

If you have ever seen the bottom end of an FJ its stout! Big rods, big bearings, big rod bolts...its big big big! Designed for power!

Yasin

Yeah, but you know what I mean... times change. Eventually the SR will be old as hell, too... The one in my car is 15-16 years old already. :)

Just wondering when Nissan will make another mighty 4 cylinder. Seems like everyone is headed towards bigger engines and no turbos, so it may not ever happen.

i really didnt expect you to have boost that early.

could you post up your turbos specs such as A/R etc' date=' this makes me reconsider the GT30R for my RB20DET[/quote']

I think it will be pretty laggy on a RB20DET due to the short stroke of the RB engines. Anything with a longer stroke seems to spool the turbos a bit better that a shorter stroke motor for any given displacement, probably a thermodynamic thing.

Turbo is simply a GT35 R with 1.06 housing. Weight 2600lb.

I think it will be pretty laggy on a RB20DET due to the short stroke of the RB engines. Anything with a longer stroke seems to spool the turbos a bit better that a shorter stroke motor for any given displacement' date=' probably a thermodynamic thing.

Turbo is simply a GT35 R with 1.06 housing. Weight 2600lb.[/quote']

yeah, i know i will have more lag than an SR or FJ, i will probly just end up with a HKS turbo.

1983-85 S12 RSX Gazelle/silvia and 1983-85 DR30 RS turbo and DR30 RSX (intercooled - late model "iron mask")

I have FJ20ET in my 510 too, nice swap, but the engine makes it a little nose heavy, and its a tight fit around the steering box for Left hand drive cars. I reckon if you bought a DR30 or S12 RSX, keep the whole car and you won't be disappointed, as they already have R200 LSDs, 5 speed, big 4 wheel disc brakes etc. and aren't too much heaver than a 510.

FJ20's are getting a bit scarce now and most of them have done a lot of miles. But I've seen them for sale for ~$1000. There is a pic of the one in my 260Z here http://members.optusnet.com.au/greenupr/gallery.html Car is for sale too.

Interesting info on your GT35R Ben. Maybe the internal gate one with a 1.06 a/r turbine will not be too laggy for my VG30DET project motor.