HybridZ

Safety on PINKS TV

wingnutthehutt

I'm home with some broken bones and have been watching SPEED channel pretty much all day (except the monster trucks). There is a PINKS re0run on right now that features a white Turbo RX7 vs a pink Civic Hatch. All things about the "race" aside I noticed something that made me, the one with the broken bones, a bit queasy.

On every single pass there was a helmet that was not strapped. Always the guy in the RX7 was unstrapped, and at least once the Civic's driver was also. Is PINKS a "run what ya brung and we hope you brought a helmet" type of deal? It's VERY obvious that safety is not their number one concern, heck, fair racing isn't either but at least it takes a couple episodes to realize that. Am I crazy to think that they should require people to strap on their helmets? A fire-retardent jacket wouldn't be too out of line either, especially considering a lot of these guys have nitrous oxide bottles right in the cabin.

Ok, rant off.

yeah I think in producer's minds that common sense safety distracts from the TV "realness" in reality TV. It will take a big lawsuit for it to change, as that's what it usually takes, and for that to happen unfortunatley people will have to get hurt.

Pinks is supposed to be based on street racing...where there are no rules per se...so if you want to drive with only a thong on' date=' technically that would be allowed.

Yasin[/quote']

The only way I'd do that is on a motorcycle! :mrgreen:

Ouch, the visual of myself just made me queasy too, ewww...dang.

Davy

Pinks is supposed to be based on street racing...where there are no rules per se...so if you want to drive with only a thong on' date=' technically that would be allowed.

Yasin[/quote']

Well, hopefully you would have the decency to at least cover the seat with a towel or something first. You know, just in case you lose.

To put a "little" light on this subject... for the Pinks race I was involved with, there was no tech inspection for the cars and the Pinks crew never once mentioned safety equipment usage... but at MIR (Maryland International Raceway) the track official, Royce, who also is the owner, told us "make sure you are using your proper safety equipment".

I suspect that if someone was doing something significantly out of whack, they would have stepped in. I know that when we have local track rentals, (MIR and Mason Dixon) there is no tech inspection and the safety equipment is on the honor system. BUT if someone is way out of range, I have seen the track officials step in if they notice.

I found it kind of saddening that they don't have the good sense to tell someone to buckle their helmet up. Some of those cars get pretty squirrely of the line and even mid track. I occasionally have to remind my students to buckle their helmets, but that's out of excitement. These guys just shove the thing on their head and go. Of course, half the time the helmet is so old it wouldn't do anything anyway. I guess my point is, the show promotes street racing, which is questionable, yet it does nothing to promote doing so safely. Basically, no redeeming value.

Yasin[/quote']

Not only are there no rules per se, but I can't recall the last time I saw a street racing post here that started: "Last night I was sitting at a stoplight when this new Vette pulled up, we started negotiations...."

Haha, yeah. I can see it now:"Hey man, nice ride, pull into that gas station so I can look under the hood and see if I want to race you. Sweet, sweet, yeah, those are dart heads, hmm, double throwdown Nitrous Express, hmmm. Yeah, I'm gonna have to get eight car lengths on you. What's the matter, aw c'mon, I have a wimpy "Datsun" there's no way I'd beat you even if you stalled..."