HybridZ

front suspension finished!

For all of you a little intimidated by the prospect of replacing your struts/springs let me tell you it's really not as hard as it seems. Lots of friends told me it was too hard to do myself and I'd have to take it in and pay some fool 600 bucks - well foo on them I win. Make sure you've got a pipe wrench and a cheater bar for that gland collar that was a pain in the ass, ya gotta go slow or you'll chew it up. Wow my springs were so dead and my struts simply did not work at all the illuminas and lowering springs are so nice, it's like a whole new car! Tomarrow I'm gonna tackle the rear and hopefully this week I'll work up the gumption to install my rear disk conversion. I'm so worn out tho time for a nap. I'll update on my progress and try to post pics within the next few days.

If you're just doing springs and shocks you don't really have to take anything apart in the rear. You can actually just disconnect the strut top and swing the swingarm down and do it all right on the car. I know I've detailed what needs to be done at least 3 times, so search and you should find the procedure to do this in the archives. You can do the front the same way, too late for you but maybe not for Ron.

I quit using pickle fork 20 yrs ago. Use an air hammer! come in from the side and peen the steering arm, not the tie rod. The steering arm will swell and distort just enough for the rod end to come loose. It will literally fall off. No more torn rubber boots.

FWIW

John

Hmm, I don't remember an issue with the tie rods. Disconnecting the strut at the bottom with the two big bolts would have been easier in that case. Still, the back is where people always get sucked into pulling the spindle pins or removing the swingarms from the car where they really don't need to. Just pull the brake lines and the halfshafts and disconnect the bar if there is one and the strut should lean right out.

When you swing the rear struts down and out from under the fenders keep an eye on the brake line. I have done the job on my car and a few others, only once did I destroy a brake line. I was getting the gland nut off and pulled a little too hard with the pipe wrench and snaped the line. If you are carefull that will not happen. I disconnect them now, I rather bleed the lines than buy new ones and bleed too.

PUsher,

Why in the world would you mess around with the tie rod? Remove the 2 bolts holding the bottom of the strut to the top of the steering knuckle. Then remove the 3 bolts on top. Remove the brake caliper and hang it out of the way and the whole thing should come out.