HybridZ

Using a chop saw for metal?

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

Alright bear with me here. I'm still new with working metal here and I have one more question. I was just wondering if anyone knows if you can use a basic chop saw for metal. I went out and got a chop saw blade, but it turns out the arbor or whatever you call it is only 9/16" and the one for the cutoff blade for metal is 1". The book on the saw actually says you can't use it to cut metal. So is it really not possible to get a cutoff blade for a regular chop saw? Does this mean I have to go out and buy a specific metal saw?

There might be an adapter for the arbor. If not, then you could conceivably make one, but it would probably be cheaper and easier to just buy a metal chop saw from HF or someplace like that. You need a fairly large blade to do anything useful. An 8" blade sounds impressive, but you'd probably run out of room at about a 2.5" or 3" piece of metal.

Not sure what you are asking. I thought a "chop saw" was a metal cutting saw.

But I will tell you I use metal cutting blades in a standard $40 Sears hand held circle saw for the majority of my metal cutting. The saw doesn't like it a whole lot. That is why I use a cheap saw for this. Has held up fine for several years now.

You can get the blades at Harbor Freight, Sears, Homers or even WalMart.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47576

44965.gif

I have used my old Delta power miter saw with a metal cutting blade on it for a ton of tubing and various other bracket cutting. The blade guard is plastic and it occasionally melts, but it works. I don't use it for wood anymore.

I used an abrasive disc in my RYOBI table saw (after checking rpm of motor and disc) to cut 5/16" metal plate for gussets for my rotisserie. Other than having to replace the insert (plastic) around the blade, no problemo.

But I'm glad I don't have to do any more of it on there. I bought a Jet Bandsaw in the last year.

Isn't the bandsaw friggin awesome?!! I had always cut metal with a sawzall or a cutoff wheel or a jigsaw. I got a little 4" HF bandsaw and that thing has really changed the way things get done on my project. No more struggling to get a straight cut or any of that. I love it, even if I do kinda get that feeling that it would cut my finger off in a split second if I ever lost respect for the thing. Might be that the fear also has to do with all of the safety guards falling off too, and the switch being about 2" from the exposed blade. I'm sure your JET is a lot higher quality than my HF.

...I do kinda get that feeling that it would cut my finger off in a split second if I ever lost respect for the thing. Might be that the fear also has to do with all of the safety guards falling off too, and the switch being about 2" from the exposed blade...

LOL. Ain't that the truth. My HF drill press has these little rocker switches on the side of the unit down behind something. Half the time I hit the light switch instead of the motor switch. I guess they figure it is just easier to get another chinaman should something go wrong.

I keep meaning to splice a huge off switch in the plug line and mounting that on the front of the press where it belongs.

I have a real aversion to losing parts of my body, so after I cut up the gussets for the rotisserie I told myself NEVER AGAIN.

A Chop saw just WILL NOT cut 3/8" plate steel of any size (the pieces I had to cut started at 9"x7").

I DO like the Jet - to me it's worth the xtra $100 - better motor, better blade guides, better stand.

Now I DID get the 20" swing 12 speed HF floor drill press when it was on sale for $339, but I had a 20% off coupon, and it has done an absolutely FINE job on everything I have thrown at it.

I'm ALMOST tempted to try using it as a mill, but I like my appendages too much, besides, gives me an excuse to dream and eventually buy another machine...

I really DO like good machinery......

I've also used just a regular abrasive cutting blade in my Delta mitre saw. Same thing - it doesn't really have the torque to like it much and the plastic insert melts, paint burns off, & gets real dirty ...... think twice if you want to use it for wood again. I just bought a Dewalt metal chop saw and all I can say is :flamedevi First thing I noticed is there's no safety button or anything. First time I squeezed the trigger it blew the circuit breaker. This thing is a serious piece. Now cant wait to get the welder and start the frame mods....

PS: Reason I got it was is was on sale plus included a mail in rebate for a FREE 4 1/2" Dewalt angle grinder. :rockon:

Cameron

My hand held circle saw did just fine cutting up an 8" x 3 foot piece of 3/16" plate steel. I got some pretty damn accurate cuts using a piece of angle iron as a saw guide. Just clamped it to the plate with a couple of vice grips. The Sears saw has an aluminum guard so nothing melts. I do have to wear gloves or I will burn my hand on the guard, and I do have to wait for the saw to cool sometimes.

I used to use a Delta miter saw for exhaust work. The little dust bag caught fire, the guard melted, and, as said above, the diameter of the wheel is too small. I use my 1953 16" Do All band saw for that kind of stuff now. The Delta miter saw is just sitting on a shelf.

Dang! And I've been thinking that my 16 incher ain't big enough. I've been semi-seriously looking for an old 22 or 24" band saw. Something like this is close to what I want but I would prefer something here in SoCal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mossnier-not-DoAll-Vertical-20-Metal-Cut-Band-Saw_W0QQitemZ270014646062QQihZ017QQcategoryZ104243QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Guest TegRacer324

Yeah well I ended up finding a couple cutoff discs for circular saws and tried it out on the miter saw. Just doesn't work very well. It got through one piece of tubing after grinding for about 4 minutes and then having to turn it over because the 7" blade doesn't help. Then when I tried to cut another piece the blade was just spent. I really don't know why, but it wouldn't cut anymore. Was just heating it up and making a groove.

Oh well I'm just gonna head down to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up one of there 100 dollar chop saws. Figure it'd be worth it to have it around.

Guest TegRacer324

Alright thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I think I'm gonna run out and get it tonight so I can do it. Haha I'm sick of putting this project on the back burner due to waiting for things. It's been long enough.