HybridZ

Drift Day 33

boate

I'd be right behind you guy, I've never done it either, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? We can all watch my copy of the Best Motoring Drift Bible, and then go out and do some damage...I figure so long as we are doing our own event, and there is NOBODY there who is any good, we can't look that stupid, right?

Just because my car turns into a giant robot doesn't mean I'm made of money! My screen name is "veritech-z" not "Scrge_McDuk-Z"!!! I was thinking about using the momo's since they have brand new tires on them if this actually comes to pass. All my wheels require the use of my hub adapters though, so I doubt we'd be able to share those...besides, that's what used tire places are for, right? The drift scene was the best thing that ever happened to the used tire business.

Boate: You get a big thumbs up!

Drift240z: You get the gas face. (who's old school enough to remember that song?)

I really want to enter one of these drift day events with the Camo zzzap! when they come around' date=' but because they are pretty much always hosted by www.tamparacing.com (an annoyingly elitist forum local to me-which I don't frequent and am not a member of) I never hear about them until it's too late. Maybe I should try to get some heads together to get one started....b_sosick, how far would you drive the Magnum ZI to put the smack down?

Annoyingly elisist fourm, isnt that, no wait....hybridz...lol

as for drift event info for those who would like to perticipate in an event

WWW.USDRIFT.COM NATIONAL EVENTS

WWW.OUTBRAKEMOTORSPORTS.COM MIDWEST

WWW.DGTRIALS.COM NATIONAL

WWW.DRIFTASSOCIATION.COM NATIONAL

WWW.CLUBFR.NET MIDWEST

WWW.BEAVERUNMOROTSPORTCOMPLEX.COM MIDWEST

yeah, I dented the rear driver's-side quarter pretty bad while getting intimate with one of the inside walls at Irwindale. It's at the body shop right now and I am currently debating over which color to go with when it gets repainted. What do you guys think? Part of me wants to keep it a nice white, but I also would think a nice dark blue, green, or red would look good. Thoughts??

And if you guys want to get out there and start sliding, but are worried about no experience, that's exactly the position I was in. Aside from some parking lot practice at my old job and some occasional intersection slides and canyon roads, I had never done any formal drifting. That's why events like Drift Day are so great... If I had wanted, I could have literally spent all day at the figure-8 skidpad. The guys at the events are all really cool and more than willing to help you out...

I've heard AutoX is not the place to try drifting. I can't remember who said it, I think it was an issue of Grassroots Motorsports maybe that was talking about getting kicked off the track for driving recklessly at an event like that. Drift240z, I WANT to believe you are building an end all 240z drift car so bad...I think most of us want to believe it's true. What's the big deal with putting up some pictures man? How hard can it be? Just put em up. Post some pics. Give us a sign of good faith. I'll try a new tactic: Anyone besides Drift240z that has pictures of Drift240z's car in action or in traction (whatever state its in), do him a favor and post them up for him.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some practice after teaching wheelie classes in the parking lots we use. But that's been limited to V6 mustang rental cars. I don't think my Z would hold up too well even if it didn't need some serious engine surgery. Actually, I take it back, I've drifted it, but only on the dirt roads in a housing development that was being built around my old house.

For the guys in FL and the southern East coast states, check out the DGtrials, they are having events down there all the time in Atlanta, PM Eric and tell them Clayton sent you and you need some instruction when you go to the events, he should set you up with a better driver to ride along with you and help you out a little.

As for the SRz...how was the balance? the weight shift? and did the nose dive down on the corners? Did the turbo lag hurt or help you? (if it's a DET) and did a feint kick out easier or harder.

My problem is I just should have stuck with a 30 year old car with the 30 year old parts and 20 year old tires...I was drifting it so easily and nice, actually had a few decent events until things started breaking...then when the rebuilds came up, I over built it...and lost all the feeling of the car. I refuse to try another car till I can get my car drifting again...so I veared away from my freinds cars... The only way I could ge tthe Z to drift is by feinting....Ebrake sucks, no power at the time to clutch kick with a crappy MAF tube that was duct tapped too many times...so I just showed up to events and only had one run most of the times. Ohh well, the afterparties are the real reason I'd go to some events.

But I built up the Z again this year, and only did one event...not enough seat time to find the feel of the car again, so I was spinning all day again....but I don't feel bad, because I slapped one of the Drift Alliance guys in the Z and he was spinning at the same places I was, and he liked the car and I think he's going to do one for the next season...I hope.

Drifting at an autocross is a no-no...a few slides are ok at a few times, but when you slide constenly, they'll kick you out. But it is a good place to get seat time in the car and hit some corners.

And I got another monster I was planning on hitting the track with, but it needs alot of work and right now I'm swamped at work and the house re-build is draining my wallet. so I'll prolly build up another monster this winter for next year.

And this steering mod....explain it a little more in detail....with pics if possible.....before I go spend money on those quik steer arms... I got a subby rack from a 96 legacy that I thought I might fab on one of the Z's, and track down some power steering pump if I have time. I have found that after a decent day of drifting...my arms are useless on the drive home.

and here's my keeper pic..... :P

0583-265.jpg

I liked Atlanta when I went there, but until I finish my megasquirt install, I'm pretty positive I couldn't get there in the camo zzzap!. There is a track in Ocala Florida called the Ocala Grand Prix or something like that where they usually do drift events, but it's a significant expense to rent it for the day, so there would have to be more people than just me and b_sosick to cover costs. Maybe some of the ATaLiens (OTM I'm looking at you! You know you want to drift!) would make the treck to beef up the z presence? That place is normally a shifter cart track, but it's big enough to drive real cars on it. Perfect for drifting really because the corners are nice and tight.

As for the SRz...how was the balance? the weight shift? and did the nose dive down on the corners? Did the turbo lag hurt or help you? (if it's a DET) and did a feint kick out easier or harder.

Well, with a pretty much stock suspension, my car rolls, dives and squats with the best of 'em. Overall though, the balance felt good and the car didn't feel like it was going to do anything unexpected. The major issue I found was transitioning between drifts with all that roll, and it required a huge focus on the steering inputs and throttle control not to snap oversteer (and, yes, I spun out quite a bit). Chassis/suspension tuning is deifinitely my next priority. The turbo lag was not really an issue at all (still on the stock T25) and the only time it even came close was when I was coming around the first big bank in 3rd - but even then I usually got it into the boosted powerband right as I clutch-kicked. As the day went on, I started to understeer more and more on the tighter turns and that's when I started to try to use the handbrake (which didn't work well) and to feint (which I am not very good at). Clutch-kicking was by far the most consistent way to break rear traction in a controllable manner.